No chill no dry hop

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labrewski

Landlord.
Reaction score
As the title says last 4 brews I've done I didn't dry hop just done a hopstand and didn't bother to chill just pitched yeast next day
Everything is going fine and it seems a lot easier
Is there any other steps I can skip ??

Spot on L

Most people overcomplicate the whole process

The human race has been brewing beer for thousands of years - long before Ispindels were invited

There is a whole industry out there trying to convince you that you need to do all sorts of things for which you need their (expensive) kit

The most important step is drinking it

I'm a bit confused. A dry hop and a hop stand add distinctly different flavours and aromas. If guess you are looking to cut corners when brewing beer that don't negatively impact the beer too much?

I think Kveik yeast is a good pick - you can let the wort cool to 40C, transfer to the fermenter, pitch yeast. It will start fermenting within 2 hours and be done within 2 days. You could shorten your mash and boil time a bit without major impact. Or alternately you can do an overnight mash.

Its all been said I think
Overnight Mash
30 Min boil
Cool to 40 or let it cool and pitch Kveik
exactly what I do with Whirlpool hopping and not as often as I use to but a dry hop now and again

Just skip it all...eat 3.5kg of pale malt,150g of crystal,35g hops of your choice, 23 litres of water and stand in the airing cupboard..
Joking (?) aside..I've not done no chill but can see the attraction,especially in the warmer months when the temp of incoming water is high. Although I have used the brew fridge to adjust wort temp. I've tried a 30 minute boil and also hop stands against dry hop and been pleased with the results.

Actually the whole process is absolutely pointless, we make sugar, then the yeast make alcohol, then the body make sugar again from alcohol.

As Obadiah said it doesn't need to be so complicated and intricate
Exact timing exact this has to be this and that
You must do this
Should be more relaxes I suppose

I find I can get an overnight mash going in less than half an hour. It's a big time saver the next day. This has got me thinking about sparging up to volume, heating to 80 celcius for hygiene and doing a big hop stand, no chill and subsequent dry hop. Easy peasy.

Back