No hop strainer in Peco EB1D mashing and boiling bin

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably safety and so you just don’t damage your worktop - can’t imagine a laminate top liking 100 oC of head on it for an hour - I use mine on the floor for that reason alone.

Kettle bottom get toasty when your using it.
Thanks I would put a steel plate under the bin to protect the worktop, but maybe 1hour boiling is too long. I'll go with it on the floor.

Thanks I would put a steel plate under the bin to protect the worktop, but maybe 1hour boiling is too long. I'll go with it on the floor.
I use mine on my cooking top (mainly so I can use the extractor fan/hood). Never had a problem.

I clip mine so as they cannot touch the element.
Sorry to trouble you with another Peco question. The instructions for the Peco boiler say, “to achieve a rolling boil adjust the set temperature to the maximum 105c” The instructions then refer to a “simmer” setting. Do you switch to the simmer setting for the 1-hour boil once the wort has reached a rolling boil? Or do you leave the boiler set at maximum 105c or just a little lower? Also, can you tell me how much wort you are losing during the 1-hour boil with your Peco?

I just stick it on 101 for the hour.
I bring it up to temp with the lid on.
Skim the head that forms on the brew at about 97/98 degrees as that helps stop a boil over.
Soon as it starts rolling I partially uncover the lid again to prevent boil over.
I’ve also Stick a towel on the floor to provide a bit of insulation and have made a makeshift jacket for it out of this stuff and duct tape so it helps it get to temp a bit quicker: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GUDVUXW?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Tend to loose about 4L over an hour give or take.

A different Peco Bin question, if you don't mind. I intend to use my Peco bin on the kitchen worktop, but the instructions tell me it should be used on the floor. Do you know if this simply a matter of safety or is there some other reason?

I brew on an outside bar area. I would never be allowed to brew indoors! The worktop I have out there is laminate but a cheap off cut. It seems to handle the temperatures fine but not sure if I’d attempt it indoors.
64394188-E885-4560-90CD-E00D527B72EF.jpeg

I brew on an outside bar area. I would never be allowed to brew indoors! The worktop I have out there is laminate but a cheap off cut. It seems to handle the temperatures fine but not sure if I’d attempt it indoors.
View attachment 31830
What happens during the winter MONTHS?. Is it difficult to maintain mashing and boiling temperature? Or is your outside bar area heated?

What happens during the winter MONTHS?. Is it difficult to maintain mashing and boiling temperature? Or is your outside bar area heated?
Its not heated. I’ve wrapped the Peco and the lid with that foil insulation stuff you put behind radiators. It hold mash temperature well but I do sometime have to put the lid on for a minute or so a few times during the boil to get it rolling a bit more.

@LuckyDip23 @Markk do you not have problems with scorching when bringing to the boil with the lid on? I read many horror stories from people with spoiled batches because they didn't stir, as a consequence I religiously sit there stirring for about an hour until it comes to the boil would be much easier and more enjoyable if I could skip that bit :laugh8:

@LuckyDip23 @Markk do you not have problems with scorching when bringing to the boil with the lid on? I read many horror stories from people with spoiled batches because they didn't stir, as a consequence I religiously sit there stirring for about an hour until it comes to the boil would be much easier and more enjoyable if I could skip that bit :laugh8:

I'm one of those people. If I don't stir on that ramp up, the batch gets ruined. I too would love to be able to step away from the kettle during ramp up. Thinking of getting a pump to recirculate the wort just for this purpose.

I do BIAB and just leave the bag draining into the Peco from a pulley system whilst the wort comes to the boil. I’ve never stirred it and never had any issues.

EDIT just seen the post above by @Brew_DD2 Looks perhaps that I may have just been lucky up until now. To be honest, this is the first time I’ve heard of anyone stirring whilst bringing to the wort to the boil in a Peco!

Last edited:
I do BIAB and just leave the bag draining into the Peco from a pulley system whilst the wort comes to the boil. I’ve never stirred it and never had any issues.

EDIT just seen the post above by @Brew_DD2 Looks perhaps that I may have just been lucky up until now. To be honest, this is the first time I’ve heard of anyone stirring whilst bringing to the wort to the boil in a Peco!

I never had a problem with it until I did. Think it must've been a particularly floury crush. I'm assuming it settled on the element and scorched. Batch ruined. I stir every time now.

I’ve never had a problem but I mash and sparge in a cool box and then just transfer over over the the kettle at the end, so there’s not much crud in there.

if I don’t skim the head as it approaches temp it always boils over though.

View attachment 31830

just had a proper look and it appears the Peco has been making a bit of a mess of the worktop. I don’t refrain from shoving it from one end to the other and this and the heat are taking their toll. I certainly wouldn’t use the Peco indoors or on any surface I cared about.

31403999-6838-4EFE-BD89-95C6312ABA50.jpeg
2FE61A83-EAB8-4D64-B1FC-1837956574DF.jpeg

I’ve never had a problem but I mash and sparge in a cool box and then just transfer over over the the kettle at the end, so there’s not much crud in there.

if I don’t skim the head as it approaches temp it always boils over though.

I used to use Brupaks Antifoam if you're having trouble. Mix it with water in a sprayer and just spray the foam a couple of times when it starts to foam up, and no more foam up. Didn't seem to effect the finished beer. I don't use it any more though as I have more room in my boiler as I brew smaller batches. I skim foam for different reasons now, those been that our dogs absolutely love it as a rare treat.

Never heard of this stuff, but I’ll definitely give it a try next time a stick an order in somewhere.

I have literally just fitted a hop strainer to mine today.

I bought this off eBay for 12 quid 1/2'' Stainless Steel Ball Valve Weldless Homebrew Compact Wine Beer Kettle Pot 6038673282861 | eBay plus a cheap hop strainer with a 1/2” fitting and it’s gone on dead easy.

I tried the ikea splash guard as a false bottom and had issues with it - the plastic kettle flexes as you pick it up and move it around after the boil and I found hops and crud snuck under the bottom and into the fermenter. Having my immersion chiller leaning on it didnt help either.

Hoping this strainer will solve my problems. And as a bonus you get a better tap than the **** plastic one it came with.

All done for sub £20.
I'm thinking of buying the stainless steel tap on ebay that you recommended. I notice there is no hexagon nut. How do you fix it on? Also, do you remain happy with yours? I am anticipating problems with the tap that came with the Peco.

I'm thinking of buying the stainless steel tap on ebay that you recommended. I notice there is no hexagon nut. How do you fix it on? Also, do you remain happy with yours? I am anticipating problems with the tap that came with the Peco.

Yeah it’s been fine. You use the threaded collar that you screw the hop strainer into to retain the tap. Seems to work alright - had no leaks so far. Just grip it with a pair of pliers to tighten it.

Yeah it’s been fine. You use the threaded collar that you screw the hop strainer into to retain the tap. Seems to work alright - had no leaks so far. Just grip it with a pair of pliers to tighten it.
I assume the collar works fine without the hop strainer. Also, did you have to enlarge the hole on the Peco to fit the tap into?

Latest posts

Back