No trucks, CO2 and Christmas is cancelled.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It's all doom and gloom, animals cannot be slaughtered due to a lack of Co2, no wagon drivers to get our stuff from the ports, predicted huge increase in gas prices and empty shelves predicted for Christmas, let the panic buying commence.

Last edited:
Have to stop reading the news, it's just depressing at the minute.

Energy prices set to so aswell. Good job we are all going to be buying electric cars soon.

All these negative Nellies everywhere! It's the attitude that's depressing me, not the shortages.
We are where we are, so let's get on with it!

And if one more person blames Brexit I'm going to have an aneurism. Sure Brexit's not helping but the entire world is short of stuff and you don't have to google too hard to see it's not all Boris' fault :)

https://bfy.tw/RgLQ
We've managed to eat meat for millions of years without CO2.
There are other means of humane dispatch.
eg We have electrical stunning and I don't think we're running out of electrons just yet.

About wagon drivers. First off, we're importing way too many things we can make or grow here. Buy local, buy low food miles. So you want strawberries in November and kumquats in July? Spoiled rotten, we are.
Eat seasonally. Better for you and better for the planet.
For things we really must import, apparently we have flexibility over immigration now. Are there not enough experienced drivers in the entire world that we can't invite to work here, while we do what we should have done long ago and make professional driving a career choice with benefits that make it attractive for young people to invest their future in?

Oh it's terrible, little Johnny won't get his slave-produced PlayStation6, Jenny won't get her injection moulded Disney princess doll from Guangdong, and Christmas won't be Christmas without Roquefort and Saint Maure on the cheese board. Pah!

As for the empty shelves at Christmas, read 'Christmas shortage of mass produced plastic **** from China sweatshops'. Make a special beer or bake something nice for your loved ones. Digital-age kids? Get them a Raspberry Pi each (made in Wales) and they can make their own entertainment.

As my mate John says, "Don't make your problem my problem"
And as *Linford Christie said. "P.M.A. ... Positive mental attitude."
(*although that might have been the drugs talking)

Last edited:
All these negative Nellies everywhere! It's the attitude that's depressing me, not the shortages.

And if one more person blames Brexit I'm going to have an aneurism. Sure Brexit's not helping but the entire world is short of stuff and you don't have to google too hard to see it's not all Boris' fault :)

eg We have electrical stunning and I don't think we're running out of electrons just yet.

About wagon drivers. First off, we're importing way too many things we can make or grow here. Buy local, buy low food miles. So you want strawberries in November and kumquats in July? Spoiled rotten, we are.
For things we really must import, apparently we have flexibility over immigration now. Are there not enough experienced drivers in the entire world that we can't invite to work here while we do what we should have done long ago and make professional driving a career choice with benefits that make it attractive for young people to invest their future in?

Oh it's terrible, little Johnny won't get his slave-produced PlayStation6, Jenny won't get her injection moulded Disney princess doll from Guangdong, and Christmas won't be Christmas without Roquefort and Saint Maure on the cheese board. Pah!

As for the empty shelves at Christmas, read 'Christmas shortage of mass produced plastic **** from China sweatshops'. Make a special beer or bake something nice for your loved ones. Digital-age kids? Get then a Raspberry Pi each (made in Wales) and they can make their own entertainment.

Spot on Chopps

For things we really must import, apparently we have flexibility over immigration now. Are there not enough experienced drivers in the entire world that we can't invite to work here while we do what we should have done long ago and make professional driving a career choice with benefits that make it attractive for young people to invest their future in?

My wife works in transport. All experienced drivers from outside UK do not WANT to drive any more there, because of the administrative hassle.

My wife works in transport. All experienced drivers from outside UK do not WANT to drive any more there, because of the administrative hassle.

All of them?
Perhaps experienced drivers from outside UK (or inside it) do not want to drive any more there for £13-£14/hour, because of the administrative hassle. At what level does the wage make the hassle worthwhile? That's where we need to be right now. TotalJobs agency state that the average HGV driver salary is £32,500. And that's pretty close to the UK median, so not exactly a bad wage. But if average is not good enough to attract, then it needs to be more. Supply and demand.

All of them?
Perhaps experienced drivers from outside UK (or inside it) do not want to drive any more there for £13-£14/hour, because of the administrative hassle. At what level does the wage make the hassle worthwhile? That's where we need to be right now. TotalJobs agency state that the average HGV driver salary is £32,500. And that's pretty close to the UK median, so not exactly a bad wage. But if average is not good enough to attract, then it needs to be more. Supply and demand.
That's the problem, I seen somewhere that a pilot changed to driving for Waitrose during lockdown. Ended up earning more money as a lorry driver.
Teachers coming out of university are expected to start on 24 k a year. Surely the system is out of balance if a lorry driver is on more money than a teacher, nurse or pilot

As for the empty shelves at Christmas, read 'Christmas shortage of mass produced plastic **** from China sweatshops'. Make a special beer or bake something nice for your loved ones. Digital-age kids? Get them a Raspberry Pi each (made in Wales) and they can make their own entertainment.

Could have summed all of this up by just typing "Back in my day"

There are other means of humane dispatch. ...

At the weekend I attempted to leap on the back of a cow and gnaw through it's neck.

Highly humane ... I couldn't get anywhere near it. Next time I'll take a stick to lob at it. That should work.

At the weekend I attempted to leap on the back of a cow and gnaw through it's neck.

Highly humane ... I couldn't get anywhere near it. Next time I'll take a stick to lob at it. That should work.
Careful with that bareback cow riding, you're supposed to be humanely dispatching the cow not yourself.

Back