No trucks, CO2 and Christmas is cancelled.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the problem, I seen somewhere that a pilot changed to driving for Waitrose during lockdown. Ended up earning more money as a lorry driver.
Teachers coming out of university are expected to start on 24 k a year. Surely the system is out of balance if a lorry driver is on more money than a teacher, nurse or pilot

Supply and demand.

And maaaybeee if being a teacher or nurse was a respectable job again... not in this society though.

yes - filled tank as I want to visit grand kids a 440 miles return trip - no guarantee I can get fuel up north nexty weekend

is CO2 used to stun animals or asfixiate them - ok you spell it......

is CO2 used to stun animals or asfixiate them - ok you spell it......

Pig farmers fear they may soon have to start killing their animals because of a carbon dioxide shortage at abattoirs caused by soaring gas prices.
CO2 is widely used in the food and drinks industry, including for stunning animals at abattoirs before slaughter.
But some CO2 suppliers have halted production due to rising energy costs, creating a huge backlog of pigs that at some point will have to be killed.

A food and drink trade body says the UK might need to subsidise CO2 production.
Farmer Kate Morgan told the BBC on Monday "thousands of pigs are backlogged on farms. If we can't kill our pigs in an abattoir, then unfortunately we will be resorting to killing them on farms".
Carbon dioxide used by the meat industry is a by-product of fertiliser production. The gas is also used to keep food fresh as well as in dry ice and fizzy drinks.
CF Industries, the US-based business which produces about 60% of the UK's food grade CO2, has suspended production at two UK fertiliser plants. Norwegian firm Yara has also cut production at a number of European factories.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58627325

Interesting posts on one of the truck drivers forums -

Kier Starmer has just said he will allow in 100,000 drivers if he is voted in, yet again the supposed party of the working class going flat out to shaft the working class, he's conveniently forgetting that there has been an alleged driver shortage since the mid 2000's with the then in power Labour party doing nothing about it.

Where did he say this? That figure sounds like someone pulled it out of their behind.
There were only 18,000 EU hgv drivers in the country last year so he's doing well if he can get 100,000 over.

He's just stated it on the Andrew Marr show. If the figure was pulled out of someones behind then it was his own
Labour strikes again .... just as wages are on the rise in our sector ,once again labour show their real distain for the working class men and women of this country and it shows that there are
no depths they are not prepared to sink to As bad as they are i will take a crooked tory[ as the least of two evils] over backstabbing two face bunch of hypocrites that currently are the so called labour party.
They need to find someone like john smith, someone with some gravitas before they are even remotely electable.

Interesting posts on one of the truck drivers forums -

The part I don't understand when there criticism of the Labour government is that the Conservatives have had over 10 years to rectify any inherited issues. The arguement that Labour didn't do anything doesn't wash for me. And I'm speaking as someone that doesn't vote for either party.

CO2 is widely used in the food and drinks industry, including for stunning animals at abattoirs before slaughter.

nitrogen, compressed air ?

The part I don't understand when there criticism of the Labour government is that the Conservatives have had over 10 years to rectify any inherited issues. The arguement that Labour didn't do anything doesn't wash for me. And I'm speaking as someone that doesn't vote for either party.

I think what they are trying to say is the driver shortage isn't a new thing its been going on for years, the foreign drivers came here and worked for £10 an hour which drove wages down and hours up and once the same drivers could get good money in their own countries due to a driver shortages and due to Brexit they have left in droves, wages are now on the increase and they are now talking about letting foreign drivers back in which will drive wages down again.

Those comments look like they came straight out of a tory bot farm :laugh8:

Instead of blaming europeans who want to put food on their families tables doing an honest job, why not blame the companies who take full advantage of the minimum wage and pay their drivers a pittance, a minimum wage that has been set for a decade now by the Tories.

I mailed my co2 supplier on thursday. A fresh bottle was delivered on friday. Still at the same price also. No problems here

So one day everything *seems* ok, then the next, we're short of HGV drivers by a tenth of a million. Hmm. And if all you peasants are lucky enough to find some petrol for those old cars you've got, it'll be crappy E10 which will get you off the road in no time. Now you'll have to buy an EV, or you would if you could afford it but we know you can't - hehe. We'll make some noises about clicking our fingers and uprooting all those European drivers to come flocking over here at the drop of a hat and get us out of the hole in three months, then we send them all back when the storm has passed. We know we can say this and get away with it cos you've proved how dense and gullible you are with climate change, covid etc, and we'll pull it off with this one, too. Cheers suckers, you make our job soooo easy.

So one day everything *seems* ok, then the next, we're short of HGV drivers by a tenth of a million. Hmm.

I do wish you would do a little research before you post these little rants.

A Road Haulage Association (RHA) survey of its members estimates there is now a shortage of more than 100,000 qualified drivers in the UK.
That number includes thousands of drivers from European Union (EU) member states who were previously living and working in the UK

The RHA claims around 20,000 European drivers have left the UK for "Brexit reasons".

Thousands of drivers left the industry during the pandemic.

30,000 lessons and tests were cancelled due to the pandemic in the UK

This video is from 2019 there were shortages back then this is not something new.

1632827512335.png

1632827538045.png

ttttttttttt.jpg

And if all you peasants are lucky enough to find some petrol for those old cars you've got, it'll be crappy E10 which will get you off the road in no time.

The only reason there would be no super unleaded (E5) is if the normal unleaded (E10) had ran out and people with cars that can use (E10) were filling with (E5) why would someone with a car that can only run on (E10) use (E5) you really didn't think this one through did you.

We'll make some noises about clicking our fingers and uprooting all those European drivers to come flocking over here at the drop of a hat and get us out of the hole in three months, then we send them all back when the storm has passed. We know we can say this and get away with it cos you've proved how dense and gullible you are with climate change, covid etc, and we'll pull it off with this one, too. Cheers suckers, you make our job soooo easy.

Again a total lack of research -

The European drivers came here for better wages and conditions which caused a shortage in their country this forced wages up in their own countries so many went home (and because of Brexit) and they still have shortages in their countries (see graph in post #73) they are not going to come back in their thousands for little more monay and a promise of3 months work and many wouldn't be allowed to drive tankers as they need special licences to do that.

Latest posts

Back