Nominate your favourite beer here to win the beer world cup!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure at one time or another (although it may have been on a different forum) that there was a monthly beer tasting, where a commly available commercial beer was nominated and at the end of the month everyone would taste it and discuss. Not sure why it fizzled out though.
That's a great idea - you should start a thread
Maybe we could work our way through some of these world cup beers??

Yep, top idea. Discussion could include likely ideas for recipes if we stumble upon an absolute gem athumb..

Thread can be called beer of the month. There are 16 months already in this thread!

Yep, top idea. Discussion could include likely ideas for recipes if we stumble upon an absolute gem athumb..

Thread can be called beer of the month. There are 16 months already in this thread!
I'd be happy for somebody else to take the lead on this, but I'd definitely be up for joining in :D

December could be a good month to start this off as I'd imagine most folks will be buying at least few commercial beers for the festive period.
Would you like the honours @braziliain , or shall I?

Yeah sure, I'm happy to lead it.
I'll pick something off this list to start us off in December. :beer1:

So matches 9 to 12 now released. The first release of matches are now coming to an end and only one more release of matches left to come out on Monday which will complete the first round.

Some big giant killing upsets coming our way!!!

Keep voting as it looks like some of the beers need some help.

So thats the results of the first 4 matches from the first round.

The winners were

Match 1 - Sierra Nevada Beat Oakham Citra 27 votes to 13
Match 2 - Weihenstephaner Hefe beat Verdant Pulp 21 votes to 10
Match 3 - Rocheforte 10 beat Boddingtons best 38 votes to 3 (bit of a one sided one there)
Match 4 - Duval beat Thornbridge Jaipur 27 votes to 17

We will find out on Monday who these beers will face in the second round which is also when the final set of matches will be released. Looking like there could be a few upsets and also a few one sided matches over the next 5 days.

So that's the second group of first round matches complete. The results are:

Match 5 - De Mollen Amarillo beat Harveys Sussex 20 votes to 6
Match 6 - Brew York Tonkoko beat De Dolle Oerbier 11 votes to 7
Match 7 - Chimay Blue beat Orval 20 votes to 12
Match 8 - Timothy Taylor Landlord beat Anchor steam 28 votes to 13

Highlights for me were a) i thought Orval would walk it and b) I didn't realize that Timmy was still so popular

I will post the updated knockout table shortly with all of the first round matches on it.

I think the results may be slightly effected by them only being visible if you vote I will admit I voted on some when I haven't had either just to see the result, it's only a bit of fun so no harm done.

So that's the penultimate group of the first round matches complete. We nearly have a complete second round set of matches.

Results are:

Match 9 - Cloudwater All Season DDH beat Ringwood Circadian 18 votes to 4
Match 10 - Vocation Pride & Joy Beat Exmoor Gold 18 votes to 12
Match 11 - Cloudwater DIPA beat Monkey Wrench 27 votes to 2 (Errrm that was a clear result)
Match 12 - Pilsner Urquell beat Proper Job 23 votes to 17

Watch this space for the final results and the second round matches.

So that's the last of the first round matches completed. Here is how they fared.

Match 13 - Sam Smiths Oatmeal Stout beat Salopian black edition 10 votes to 6
Match 14 - Westamalle Dubbel beat Theakston Old Peculiar 19 votes to 5
Match 15 - Westvleteren 12 beat Fatamorgana by Omnipollo by 14 votes to 5
Match 16 - Wild Beer Co Bibble beat Evil Twin Mexican Biscottie 12 votes to 5

That concludes the first round matches and the table for the second round now looks like this.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 67
  • BeerworldCup2018.pdf
    106.9 KB · Views: 61
So that's the second round complete with some titanic battles. One match however remains undecided. Its extra time for De Mollen Amarillo and Sierra Neveda IPA.

The decided quarter final matches are

De Mollen Amarillo / Sierra Nevada Vs Could Water All Season Pale Ale(s)

Weihenstephaner Hefe Vs Westmalle Dubble

Cloudwater DIPA Vs Rochefort 10

Pilsner Urquell Vs Timothy Taylor

The quarter final matches will be released Monday morning once the extra time match is resolved.

Good luck everyone, who is your money on???

Latest posts

Back