Non alcoholic beer recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suffolk Supper

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all 👋
I would like to brew ( from a kit or a recipe ) a non alcoholic beer for my neighbour as he has just returned from a lengthy hospital visit and has been told he must stop drinking 😱
I have made many brews for us over the years and like to make a non alcoholic ale 🍺 could someone recommend a good beer kit to do this with or a good step by step recipe
Happy brewing
Thank you 😊

Brew any beer you like, mash a bit higher to help with body (say, 72C). Ferment it as usual. After fermentation complete heat to 79C and hold at this temp for 30 mins or so to evaporate off the alcohol. Cool back down and package. If you're bottling you will need to add priming sugar as you normally would and some fresh yeast to do the work (this is why commercial beers state 0.5% usually) - if kegging theres no need and you can force carb as usual. Hoppy beers don't do well with this method, although it is possible to dry hop after the evaporation stage if you like. I've done lager a couple of times and a stout this way too.

Hope this helps
G

Brew any beer you like, mash a bit higher to help with body (say, 72C). Ferment it as usual. After fermentation complete heat to 79C and hold at this temp for 30 mins or so to evaporate off the alcohol. Cool back down and package. If you're bottling you will need to add priming sugar as you normally would and some fresh yeast to do the work (this is why commercial beers state 0.5% usually) - if kegging theres no need and you can force carb as usual. Hoppy beers don't do well with this method, although it is possible to dry hop after the evaporation stage if you like. I've done lager a couple of times and a stout this way too.

Hope this helps
G
Thank you grantickle 😊 🍺👍 that’s great 😁

That's quite rude actually. The guy is just trying to do something nice for someone who's unwell. Be respectful.
Sorry didn’t mean to offend anyone, I looked it up and apparently it’s a IPA 🍺 my fault didn’t realise, I thought it was a smoothie drink again my apologies.
Full respect ✊🏽
thank you
Sorry, I didn’t read the post in full. No offence meant.
👍 no worries 👍 thank you for the brew dog recipe I will certainly look at doing them both 🍺🍺👍😊😊😊

Hi all 👋
I would like to brew ( from a kit or a recipe ) a non alcoholic beer for my neighbour as he has just returned from a lengthy hospital visit and has been told he must stop drinking 😱
I have made many brews for us over the years and like to make a non alcoholic ale 🍺 could someone recommend a good beer kit to do this with or a good step by step recipe
Happy brewing
Thank you 😊
I'm not sure how vital it is that the beer is completely alcohol free, but I can highly recommend David Heath's technique

I've done three of these now which have come out around the 0.9 to 1.1% mark. Given how low the ABV is, they are very tasty and I'm trying to keep one permanently on tap from now on.

👍😊🍺
I'm not sure how vital it is that the beer is completely alcohol free, but I can highly recommend David Heath's technique

I've done three of these now which have come out around the 0.9 to 1.1% mark. Given how low the ABV is, they are very tasty and I'm trying to keep one permanently on tap from now on.

Thanks sprat I will give that a go !👍🍺😊

might get one of these done for dry Jan. i imagine these are best drunk fresh? so maybe a three week turn around?

might get one of these done for dry Jan. i imagine these are best drunk fresh? so maybe a three week turn around?
Well, funnily enough I contacted David because my first attempt tasted quite astringent when I started the keg. He suggested that my astringency might be down to the fact that I was trying it too early saying "How long have you let the beer condition? Despite it being an IPA and low abv it does take a few weeks to come together for some"
In fact it still tasted quite sharp at 4 weeks but by 7 weeks was much improved. As he says in his video it is one of those recipes that you need to follow faithfully. I've tried different hop combinations and different water profiles (as per Allemand's advice sheet) but found that his specific brew is still the best.

In another thread @Buffers brewery talks about beer tasting better towards the end of the keg, something which I've always found and always been puzzled by and it may have just been that effect that was at work in my low abv brew.

I was hoping that yeast manufacturers would release their low/no alcoholic strains for homebrewers. An example of such a yeast: SafBrew™ LA‑01. Maybe they will release these in small 11 gram satchets in the future, for now you need to buy them in large bricks.

A friend of mine runs a kombucha (fermented tea) brewery. They have a kombucha that they dry hop with modern hops. It's actually a really good replacement for beer when you want to go low alcoholic. I find it more enjoyable than most alternatives.

Last edited:
Will give it a go at some stage. Looks to be quite high in carbs though.
Yes, though if I've done my sums correctly, it's not too bad.
The lactose contributes about 10 calories per pint. My last brew came out at about 125 calories per pint which compares quite favourably with for example Adnams Ghostship 0.5% which has 115 calories. (Though one of my other ones went to 150 calories).
I also brew BRUT IPAs occasionally which only come out at about 165 for a 4.7% beer. Whereas my normal beers which are usually in the 4% abv region give roughly 225 calories per pint.
It depends what you're trying to achieve, but I certainly think it's worth your trying one brew of low alc - they really are surprisingly good, given how low the ABV is.

Origionly looking at a alcohol free beer for jan which this would be perfect. However I also try to keep on a lowish carb diet (sort of). I know nanny state is both so was planning on getting stocked up.

They have a kombucha that they dry hop with modern hops. It's actually a really good replacement for beer when you want to go low alcoholic. I find it more enjoyable than most alternatives.

that sounds interesting. I’ll keep an eye out for it. Mind you I doubt you can drink it by the pint to get that placebo effect!

Back