Noob questions on first kit

Discussion in 'Beer Kit Brewing Discussion.' started by stinka, Nov 23, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Dec 6, 2019 #61

stinka

stinka

stinka

Awesome cheers lads. I’m starting to get a basic understanding of the process and the equipment, hopefully by the time I get round to it in the new year it’s going to be a success! In the meantime I’m reading everything on here and watching as much On YouTube as I can :D

Winterbournebrewery likes this.
  2. Dec 6, 2019 #62

Winterbournebrewery

Winterbournebrewery

Winterbournebrewery

there is some great stuff on YT. some hilarious stuff as well check out count drunkula , hapless ginger etc...

stinka likes this.
  3. Dec 6, 2019 #63

terrym

terrym

terrym

This might be useful if you haven't picked up on it before
    https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...de-to-brewing-your-own-beer-from-a-kit.57526/
    And my advice is to keep it simple at the beginning, get the basics right on one or two simple beer kits, keep notes on what you do, learn from any mistakes you make, and when you sort of know what you are doing you will then be able to decide whether you want to expand your brewing methods with the many things that people on here will be recommending you do, and that will inevitably include the term 'all grain'. wink...

stinka likes this.
  4. Dec 6, 2019 #64

stinka

stinka

stinka

Thanks mate ! And yep, all grain is ultimately, all I want to do :) I tend to watch loads of biab vids and vids about all grain setups. I’m a tradesman so I’m decent at plumbing etc and I think I’ll build my own in the end, we’ll I’d like to hope I continue to learn and get that far down the road anyway ! But as everyone has told me to, I’m going to get the basics right first and start with kits and modify them with additional hops and stuff

I love beer you see :D

5. Dec 6, 2019 #65

Chippy_Tea

Chippy_Tea

Chippy_Tea

Administrator. Administrator

I use mine on my siphon as i don't have a tap on my FV, works a treat.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    Sinktipper and stinka like this.
  6. Dec 10, 2019 #66

stinka

stinka

stinka

Another quick AG noob question...

Hop additions when boiling, do you leave them in until the end of the boil, as in not let them steep for a bit and remove them at some point ?

and dry hopping ... is this then done in the FV ? But I’ve also read that you can dry hop in a keg ?

7. Dec 10, 2019 #67

stephen1546

stephen1546

stephen1546

Regular.

8. Dec 10, 2019 #68

stephen1546

stephen1546

stephen1546

Regular.

I thought about AG, but I have to say that I'm happy with kits/tweaking. Was thinking about maybe an air still instead of AG equipment

9. Dec 10, 2019 #69

terrym

terrym

terrym

Apart from acting as a preservative, hops are usually added to beer for bitterness, flavour and aroma.
    When added to boiling wort the first additions are mostly about bitterness, later additions about flavour and some bitterness and the final additions, say near or at heat off/flame out about aroma and flavour. Once hops are added that's it they are not removed. It's up to the brewer to decide the quantity of which hop is added and when to achieve the hop balance in the finished product.
    Homebrewers often make up hop teas to add to their beers, especially when making up a kit, which adds flavour and some aroma to the beer. Hop teas are hop infusions with hot but not boiling water, and little if any bitterness is extracted
    Dry hopping carried out by homebrewers is more about aroma , but if large quantitites of hops are used as in some AIPAs some flavour will be added. Traditionally a small amount of hops (say a handful) were added to a cask of beer at the brewery to give the beer some aroma.

stinka likes this.
  10. Dec 11, 2019 #70

stinka

stinka

stinka

Great reply, cheers

11. Dec 11, 2019 #71

Crappyfish

Crappyfish

Crappyfish

Hi
    I leave my hops in until I have drained the boiler on hop additions. Dry hopping I do in the FV in a bag or stainless hop holder and take it out before putting the wort into the keg. I heard that dry hopping can be done in the keg but not sure if you would have to unseal the keg to remove them (not a good thing ) or leave them in till its empty which in my case could be weeks.

12. Dec 12, 2019 #72

mancdaz

mancdaz

mancdaz

Hopefully it's beer by this point, rather than wort :tongue:

13. Dec 12, 2019 #73

Rodcx500z

Rodcx500z

Rodcx500z

Landlord.

Hi I just put 21L of triple hopped ipa in a pb the syphon clogged up with citra pellets so I just tipped it all in, I will be clear in about 4 weeks :beer1:

Draft saved Draft deleted