noob

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steved51

Reaction score
Hi all its good to be here, im a beginer trying to learn wine making.Had a look on the site and have picked up alot already,got some equipment, a solomon grundy 6 bottle red wine kit and a beaverdale 30 bottle red wine kit[i like red wine]so will make a start soon,cheers from a cold Perth Scotland.

Hi all its good to be here, im a beginer trying to learn wine making.Had a look on the site and have picked up alot already,got some equipment, a solomon grundy 6 bottle red wine kit and a beaverdale 30 bottle red wine kit[i like red wine]so will make a start soon,cheers from a cold Perth Scotland.
Welcome Steve,
I make infinitely more beer than wine, but when I do (about 10-12 demijohns a year), I use stuff from the garden or foraged stuff. Rhubarb makes great wine as do blackberries and blackberries/elderberries mixed. the weirdest thing I've got on at the moment is vegetable marrow wine. I learnt all my winemaking from Berry's "First Steps in Winemaking". It's terribly dated now and some turn up their collective conks at it, but it's the only book I've ever referred to. Never made a kit in my life, but I appreciate there isn't much other stuff around with winter coming on.

Welcome Steve,
I've made some very nice wine from kits over the years. If memory is correct I made a few Beaverdale kits with good success. I've stumbled across threads on here with info for making wine from supermarket juices...haven't tried any yet, maybe one day. Happy brewing🍻

Welcome Steve,
I make infinitely more beer than wine, but when I do (about 10-12 demijohns a year), I use stuff from the garden or foraged stuff. Rhubarb makes great wine as do blackberries and blackberries/elderberries mixed. the weirdest thing I've got on at the moment is vegetable marrow wine. I learnt all my winemaking from Berry's "First Steps in Winemaking". It's terribly dated now and some turn up their collective conks at it, but it's the only book I've ever referred to. Never made a kit in my life, but I appreciate there isn't much other stuff around with winter coming on.
Thanks for the book info,just found a pdf version for free

Thanks for the tip about the book, too. I’m very new to wine (and beer) making. Currently I’ve got batches of cherry, and red grape wines on the go. Both made from home grown fruit.

Back