Norfolk Nog

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve_89

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Currently brewing my 4th brew (2 wines complete and a English ale)

The 4th brew I went for was the Norfolk Nog kit this has been fermenting now for coming up to 9 days. I just wanted to share my experience.

The original gravity reading I got in the kit was 1.048 I went with it. Checked after 7 days and was at 1.016 thought it's really close I will check in a few days which was Today. To my suprise still 1.016 so as you can imagine I was slightly worried as to if this is all it would reach Searched this forum and Google search looking at ways to get it going again.

Slightly panicking that the brew is not going to be how it should with a low ABV and sweeter then it should be never mind thinking about how I will get it in the bottle without risking them exploding when under carbination.

Decided just to check the Hydrometer in 20 degree water just to make sure it wasn't that.. To my suprise reading 1.004 in the water.

So I panicked for absolutely no reason and it's actually in the range of where it should be. Going to leave it until the weekend and bottle it.

I guess the point of this post is to let other people know a problem with a Hydrometer could be an issue some people come across as that advice doesn't always pop up in the threads I saw.

Off to the local brew shop in the morning for a new one.

(edited realised I put 1.038 instead of 1.048)

Last edited:
Everything I make gets two weeks minimum in the fermenter. They're usually done by then. No need to get in a hurry about getting it finished. It does not have to be bottled immediately when it's done. Patience is your friend.

There's the 2-2-2 rule some follow. Two weeks in the fermenter, two weeks to carbonate, two weeks to condition. I tend to like this practice.

Everything I make gets two weeks minimum in the fermenter. They're usually done by then. No need to get in a hurry about getting it finished. It does not have to be bottled immediately when it's done. Patience is your friend.

There's the 2-2-2 rule some follow. Two weeks in the fermenter, two weeks to carbonate, two weeks to condition. I tend to like this practice.

I agree from the research I have done and the help of this site that seems to be a good rule to follow.

As someone who is new to brewing I'm just trying to get a good understand of the process from first hand experience.

Now I know the brew is doing what it should I will not be touching it until the weekend when it will be bottled

I agree from the research I have done and the help of this site that seems to be a good rule to follow.

As someone who is new to brewing I'm just trying to get a good understand of the process from first hand experience.

Now I know the brew is doing what it should I will not be touching it until the weekend when it will be bottled
Keep us posted!

Tried one last night came out a lot better then I was expecting taste wise still a bit young so if it only gets better I'm on to a winner with this one.
IMG_20210219_204908.jpg

Latest posts

Back