Normal sparkling water bottles for bottling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danmac

Regular.
Reaction score
Can I use supermarket 500ml sparkling water bottles for bottling or will they explode

You’ll probably be fine. I use a couple of plastic sparkling water or pop bottles each brew to check carbonation. Just make sure to leave enough headspace (about 1 and a half inches) and squeeze the air out of the bottle when replacing the cap. The bottles will expand as the headspace fills with CO2. And, as they’re clear bottles, keep them somewhere out of direct sunlight.

You’ll probably be fine. I use a couple of plastic sparkling water or pop bottles each brew to check carbonation. Just make sure to leave enough headspace (about 1 and a half inches) and squeeze the air out of the bottle when replacing the cap. The bottles will expand as the headspace fills with CO2. And, as they’re clear bottles, keep them somewhere out of direct sunlight.
Seems cheaper than buying pet bottles

Seems cheaper than buying pet bottles

Well, I always use glass, apart from my carbonation checkers, so shouldn’t really comment! It could be that the kind of plastic bottles sparkling water comes in aren’t as great for multiple reuse as PET bottles made specifically for home brewing. They’re made to be disposable (though I salute any attempt to reuse plastics). There’s also the point I made above about them being clear (or green) rather than brown, which means you need to pay more attention to storage.

Well, I always use glass, apart from my carbonation checkers, so shouldn’t really comment! It could be that the kind of plastic bottles sparkling water comes in aren’t as great for multiple reuse as PET bottles made specifically for home brewing. They’re made to be disposable (though I salute any attempt to reuse plastics). There’s also the point I made above about them being clear (or green) rather than brown, which means you need to pay more attention to storage.
Where do u buy your glass bottles please ?

I was short of glass at one point last year and used Highland spring still bottles. Same technique above. From 43 bottles I had 2 that were flat. I just found I drank them too quickly.

I use them and they do take the pressure, the only downfall is when it comes to the pour on the larger bottles, you will get a slight sediment kickback everytime you stop pouring.

Can I use supermarket 500ml sparkling water bottles for bottling or will they explode
Ran out of crown caps yesterday, went to lidl, bought 2 of their Italian sparkling water 1 liter green PET bottles (32p). Drank contents, filled with latest brew batch. Cannot wait to use My brand new 1 liter Stein glass xmas present.

Ran out of crown caps yesterday, went to lidl, bought 2 of their Italian sparkling water 1 liter green PET bottles (32p). Drank contents, filled with latest brew batch. Cannot wait to use My brand new 1 liter Stein glass xmas present.
I have a giant stein as well lol

You might find it interesting to have a look at something I posted back at the end of December 2020 - see Glass vs Plastic Bottles for LT storage

NB - I appreciate that I contradict several of the other replies to your question, and I accept that everybody has different opinions, experiences and reasons for using (disposable) PET bottles (e.g. as a quick check on the state of carbonation). But there is also a good reason why decent beer is not sold in PET bottles :tinhat:

You might find it interesting to have a look at something I posted back at the end of December 2020 - see Glass vs Plastic Bottles for LT storage

NB - I appreciate that I contradict several of the other replies to your question, and I accept that everybody has different opinions, experiences and reasons for using (disposable) PET bottles (e.g. as a quick check on the state of carbonation). But there is also a good reason why decent beer is not sold in PET bottles :tinhat:

Not necessarily a bad thing. The ones they sold were a bit shoddy - applying any type of force to them and they tended to bend and break. At least in my experience.
Think I'll get a bench capper they look sturdy

You won’t regret it. I can’t say they make bottling fun, but they definitely make it easier. 👍
Agreed. . . . . Bottling is never a lot of fun, but I look upon it as a means to an end - and therefore worth the effort. In my case I don't have space for kegs and a kegerator, so at least I can keep a range of beers in stock, and put them in the fridge when appropriate.
I bought a bench capper a few years ago, and its a whole lot easier to use than those 2 handed clamp thingies, not least because you have a spare hand to hold the bottle steady.
Here are a couple of things that will make bottling slightly less of a chore:
  • At the start of a bottling session I put a smear of silicon grease or Vaseline around the inside of the magnetic capping head. This helps the bottle caps to release easily. Otherwise they sometimes stick when you have crimped the cap on. (NB - This may just be a function of my particular machine)
  • Also, its worth trying to collect bottles that are all the same height, so you don't have to keep adjusting the height of the capping head. There are a lot of commercial beers that seem to use a standard height bottle, but there are also a few odd ones.
  • Finally, use a bottling wand when filling. It really speeds things up.

Back