Northern Brewer FV markings

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howard Taylor

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am just starting to brew a Young American Pale Ale kit, the Fermentation Vessel I am using was originally part of a Northern Brewer starter kit. The markings on the side of the plastic container are in gallons, would that be USA gallons? The point is that the kit states top up the wort and sugar mix to 23 Litres. It seems that the 5 gallon marking on my FV isn't enough water. So what's the best course of action for me, your thoughts please.

Northern Brewer are American so I would expect the markings to be US silly gallons.
And they wouldn’t dream of putting helpful, unambiguous litres on it.

So time to dig out a measuring jug and a sharpie.

Thanks Llamaman for the quick response, I agree with you and feel I should top up to 23 Litres, which I marked on the vessel earlier today. Maybe I might just top up to a little less than the recommended 23 Litres, I don't want a weak brew.

I’ve not tried the Young’s kits yet, but they do have a good reputation. I’d check in the relevant threads whether these are ones to brew short (as is the standard recommendation for cheaper kits).
IIRC 5 US gallons is 18.9L so that would be quite short. Might make for a potent brew...

Latest posts

Back