Not enough sugar?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobbynog

Reaction score
Brewing a coopers euro lager and instructions said to use 750g of sugar. I used 500g of light spraymalt with 250g of brewing sugar. OG started at 1.034 and after two weeks was down to 1.012 so not looking strong at all.

Should I have added more sugar and what would happen if I added more now?

now, if it's still in the FV, it will just ferment it, it'll be fine. i wouldn't want it in the bucket that long personally, i would just drink it.

it's meant to make about 4.5%, I would go with that as the fermentables are in there, these things are pretty set in stone with kits.

Cheers, dilemma then! Fermenting at around 16deg so might just leave another week, prime and bottle.

1.012 is pretty high for that kit, I hit around 1.006 iirc. That was brewing with 500g of DME and 1kg of brewing sugar.

Surprised at the instructions calling for such a low amount of fermentables. I thought it was 1kg of brewing sugar that was recommended for the 4-4.5% mark. Replacing any of the sugar with DME or BKE will always lower the final ABV if the ratios aren't adjusted.

Just checked instructions and says 1kg of brew enhancer 2 or 500g light dry malt with 250g sugar/dextrose.

Guess if I can get down to 1.008 will end up around 4% after priming

Bobbynog said:
Just checked instructions and says 1kg of brew enhancer 2 or 500g light dry malt with 250g sugar/dextrose.

Guess if I can get down to 1.008 will end up around 4% after priming

The instructions have changed massively since I last brewed then. Those quantities are what is now recommended in the mexican cerveza.

Would be lucky to see 4% using either method IMO.

The instructions used to state 1kg of brewing sugar or 1kg of brew enhancer1 (brew enhancer 2 has 250g of unfermentables to aid body, this brew definitely doesn't suffer from a lack of body).

1.034 to 1.008 will be approx 3.3% ABV. Would take a fair whack of priming to get it up to 4%. You may run the risk of over priming as when I brewed this kit I primed with 180g and it was too much (body was fantastic in this beer, surprising for a kit).

I really wish coopers would stop being so generic with their instructions :(

Latest posts

Back