Not enough yeast - what's my best option?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BackToBasics

Reaction score
Morning,

Just put started the mash on today's brew, went to get the yeast out and found I hadn't got what I wanted.

Brew is 23l of pilsner, intended OG is 1.040 and I was going to pitch 2 packs of MJ bohemian pilsner and ferment under pressure. Turns out I've only 1 pack! The beer is for a party and I'm going for a pretty traditional pilsner.

Options

1. Just pitch the one pack
  2. Co-ferment with a pack of CML lager yeast (used it before and it's okay but I much prefer the MJ)
  3. Use this as an opportunity to try the dried lutra is just got in
  4. Make a starter using the MJ and pitch tomorrow/Monday
  5. Something else I haven't thought of.

I'm leaning towards option 4 but I'm interested what others would do. I've not used lutra before so I'm a bit wary of trying it on a beer I'll be serving to a room full of people.

If you are fermenting under pressure then you can ferment a bit warmer than you would normally do for a pilsner and still maintain the pilsner yeast flavour profile. So the need for a lager style pitch rate is moot since you will be pitching at around 18 deg, so I'd just go with the one pack but set the spunding valve to 15 psi from the beginning. There will be air in the headspace with oxygen but that's desirable at pitching for the growth phase of the yeast.

Latest posts

Back