Not getting enough sharpness from keg/brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It doesn't need to be in a fridge, any cool place will work. Your results might be a little less consistent as the carbing pressure is dependent on temperature. Also you will need a slightly higher pressure about 18psi at 15c. Hope this helps

1. Remove the black plastic disconnect shown in the video and use this drop-in replacement. Job done in one step and your setup remains neat and tidy.

Flow control taps have already been discussed. I used to have them and now have balanced lines instead.

Ordering this now. Am I right in saying that this wont help with the issue with the carbonation of the beer, only the flow control of the beer from the tap?

For burst carbonating I wouldnt bother swapping the gas to the liquid out post. With a mini keg you can easily shake it about to get the CO2 into solution. Burst carbonating at 30psi (or as close as you can ), shaking regularly and keeping it cold for at least 24hr is probably your best solution. After 24 hr back the regulator off, bleed the keg down and set the reg back to about 7-10 psi and leave it to settle for another 24 hours, you will probably have to bleed the pressure back a few times.

Then use the adapter foxbat posted otherwise you'll get a pint of foam.

I'll give this a shot at the weekend, thanks, although I already have some sugar in there!

No problem. I'm trying to burst carbonate. Basically setting the regulator as high as it will go and leaving it for a day or two.
The reason it's more of an experiment is that all the burst carbonation charts are based on a 19L corny keg and being able to go up to 40psi. My sodastream regulator seems to top out at about 25.

It's a middle ground between the low and slow and shake methods.

Thanks,do you reckon a 5ltr one could be done with 16g Gas cartridges?

Last edited:
Ordering this now. Am I right in saying that this wont help with the issue with the carbonation of the beer, only the flow control of the beer from the tap?
It will help you keep the carbonation that you do have. If you have the pressure to pour a pint of foam after a week then your beer has been carbonated and is losing it all in the unrestricted pour. However if you're pouring flat beer like water from a garden hose then yes, you'll need additional carbonation.

By the way, a week isn't really enough. Two weeks at your chosen pressure and temperature is a better bet. If you're going to use sugar then 5C is no good, the yeast won't work, it'll need those two weeks at room temperature.

If you're going to use sugar then 5C is no good, the yeast won't work, it'll need those two weeks at room temperature.
HI, yes, sorry, I dont keep it at 5c all the time, I usually keep it at room temp and then move to fridge.

Latest posts

Back