(Not so) cold crashing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strongarm

Brewing on a wing and a prayer
Reaction score
The limits of my temperature control are the rooms in my house, with the conservatory being the coldest, which might drop as far as 10C at the minute.

Would a few days at that temp help clear my beer any more than just leaving it at the fermenting temp for those extra few days would?

12 is the temperature that a commercial brewer on this forum says he uses. So I would say your conservatory is ideal.

I have my pale ale in a PB clearing in my conservatory at the moment. About the same temp as yours. I've covered it with a black bin liner. Not sure if the strong light will do any harm or not, so just to be on the safe side. :thumb:

Cheers both of you. Will give it a few days out there once the dry hopping done, the US-05 doesnt seem to clear the quickest.

I did wonder about light and the FV. The coopers on especially doesnt look like it stops a lot. As it lives in a bedroom I've left a towel over it for the warm stage.

winelight said:
You know you want a fermentation fridge...

I'm sure I'll get one at some point, but not in time for this brew. There is a spot in the kitchen where a tumbledryer used to be though that would be perfect.

If the conservatory has a concrete or tiled floor even better as that will act as a heat sink. :thumb:

Back