Not sure if my mash tun is big enough

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lone_Wolf

Reaction score
Hi

I'm looking at making my second all grain brew a American barley wine. I have a 30 litre mash tun, and the recipe I'm looking at following is 10kg of pale malt, 400g crystal malt and 30g of carafa special 3 malt. The amount of liquor the recipe says to use for the mash is 26 litres. I don't think I will get all this in my mash tun. My question is, if I can not get all the water in with the grains, can i just make up the boil volume with extra sparge water?
I have attached the recipe.
Many thanks
Dan

View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1436629434722.jpg

NOt sure I know the answer because I would worry about the mash being too thick.. what do you think youll get in there? 20 liters?

Bare in mind you will lose 10.5 you're going to need a good 16 liters sparge water..??

Thick mash may affect the efficiency?? could you split the mash or scale down a touch?

Yeah either reduce the batch size, mash twice or replace some grain with extract.

Thanks for all the replies. Have thought about halving the the batch Into two halves. I assume I just halve the ingredients and water volumes equally, and then mix the two halves of wort back together to make the full volume. Is that correct?

Yes halve everything. You could boil it all together or in two batches. One idea is to make half and pitch the yeast, and make the other a day or two later and add it to the FV when the yeast has multiplied. But do you need a full size batch of such a strong beer? I'd be putting it in smaller bottles for a kick off.

Yeah was looking for a big batch for a big Xmas party. Will do it in two halves. Thanks everyone for their replies.

Latest posts

Back