Not sure where to look

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need to know if there is some way to find out if I am insured on our company van, my boss has told me that I am as the van is insured for all drivers over 30 but I dont believe him...

I have no idea how to find this information out so I thought I would come to the fountain of usefull knowledge that is you guys :)

If you are using it for company business and he has told you that you are insured then I think that it would be sufficient to cover you in the event of a problem, however if you are using the van for non company stuff (such as moving house) then I would query if you would be covered in those circumstances. If you are using your own vehicle for business purposes and your policy is social domestic and pleasure then you're not covered and I can see the same applying in reverse.

Personally I'd want to see the policy.

Jeltz said:
If you are using it for company business and he has told you that you are insured then I think that it would be sufficient to cover you in the event of a problem
Just because he has told you you are insured it doesn't mean you are, I'm pretty sure that excuse wouldnt hold up if you were pulled for no insurance. It is the drivers responsibility to ensure thay have insurance (and the vehicle is road worthy etc).

Jeltz said:
Personally I'd want to see the policy.
Same here :thumb:

As Nic says above, if you are using it for personal business it is unlikely you will be insured on it anyhow.

I question whether you can insure it as you don't own the vehicle, therefore do not have an insurable interest in it. I would call the insurer you looked at online and tell them the circumstances and confirm they can cover you.

If not, it will need to be additional cover purchased under your works motor / fleet policy I'm afraid.

Are you the only driver of this vehicle? Why do you doubt your boss? He is the registered keeper or at least his company is. It would be particularly foolhardy to run the vehicle without insurance.

I don't think Colin drives it normally Bob, just wants to use it.

I'm not suggesting it isn't insured but there may be restrictions on the policy, particularly if Colin wants to use it for non-business related activities which would render the insurance invalid.

No. I dont drive the van. Last time they looked into insuring me on it was several years ago and i was told it was too expensive as i passed my test rather later in life than most people do. I have heard from a colleague that the van used to be covered for any driver over 30 but she was not sure that was still the case. I will have to look into it tomorrow. Thanks for all the replies guys :-)

By boss is a bit dodgy to say the least, i have avoided talking to him about my move as i really dont want to owe him a favour either...

It has already been said, if you drive it you are responsible so if your boss is that dodgy and you can't trust his word I would look elsewhere. It's not just a fine. Points on your licence will put up the price of your own insurance.

I got insured on my mates car this week, £51 for 7 days, I had to do it through his insurance though, but I know my last work had a policy that let anyone over 25 (I think) drive the van, as long as they had a licence if course lol, but I would want to make sure to cos there would be absaloutly no come back on the boss if you got pulled and you weren't, it would all come back to you.

if you do not want to owe your boss a favour and are not sure if you will be insured

why not rent a van for a couple of days

If you have a policy for your own vehicle check to see if it offers cover for driving other vehicles. It'll normally be the bare minimum 3rd party cover on vehicles not owned by the policyholder, but at least that covers you legally in the event that your company policy is lacking. Whether it's comprehensively insured for you driving is your Boss' problem IMHO.

I dont doubt that the van is insured I just dont really believe that I am included on the insurance, I am a named drived on SWMBO's policy and I dont believe she even has cover for other vehicles & even then I dont believe it covers commercial vehicles which is what the van would be classed as.

Since I have never driven a van before I want to make sure I am covered not just for damage to the van but any other damage that could be caused by my inexerience, I am not worried about driving it I am just very aware that it will be VERY different to driving the car...

Latest posts

Back