Nottingham yeast attentuation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cptn_Needa

Chookity-pok
Reaction score
Hi all
I'm looking at brewing an English IPA tomorrow and the recipe calls for Nottingham yeast.
The grain bill for 20l is
4.7kg MO
340g Crystal 150
340g Wheat malt
bringing an OG of 1.066 (65C mash).

The recipe has a target FG of 1.012 but Lallemand Nottingham has 75% attenuation so the expected FG is 1.016 in Brewfather.

Is there anything I can do to get those extra few points (aside from bringing the SG down) or am I just going to have a slightly higher FG?

Mash it a bit cooler 62/63C and it may get down a bit more.

I managed to get 83% out of MJ M15 Empire Ale yeast recently, which was a bit of a surprise given previous experiences with it. It did take 25 days though.

Thanks everyone.
Since this is my first outing with Nottingham in a pale ale I think I'll go with the thought that the suggested 75% attenuation may be on the low side and hope for a little more. FV temp is planned at 19C.
If that fails to hit the target then I'll revisit this thread and try one suggestion at a time and see what happens with subsequent brews.

Rehydrate the yeast
Oxygenate the wort
Over pitch
Clean and sanitise like your life (beer) depends on it
Manage your relative temperatures (important)
Just to be safe use a blow off tube (shouldn't need it!)
fg 1002 here we come

Cheers.....

I recently brewed an English IPA using Lalbrew Nottingham for first time.
I made a starter with boiled water at 30c and was worried I hadn't let it cool to wort temp sufficiently but added anyway as wort was cooling also.
Didn't see much activity but left it alone and found it got down to 1.010 from a start of 1.058 giving attenuation of 82% which was a pleasant surprise.

Just to add a bit more anecdotal evidence for the attenuation being a bit higher than advertised I used CML Midland in a batch of Mild (which is almost certainly Nottingham) and ended up with 84% attenuation and this was a beer made with a fair bit of crystal and roasted barley so was not expecting it to go quite as low as it did.

I recently brewed an English IPA using Lalbrew Nottingham for first time.
I made a starter with boiled water at 30c and was worried I hadn't let it cool to wort temp sufficiently but added anyway as wort was cooling also.
Didn't see much activity but left it alone and found it got down to 1.010 from a start of 1.058 giving attenuation of 82% which was a pleasant surprise.
Rehyrdated or made a starter with some sugars?

Rehydrate the yeast ...
Rehydrate the yeast 👍
Oxygenate the wort 👍
Over pitch I only have the one pack
Clean and sanitise like your life (beer) depends on it 👍
Manage your relative temperatures (important) 👍
Just to be safe use a blow off tube (shouldn't need it!) 33 litre FV for 20l or wort should leave enough headroom
fg 1002 here we come might be a little dry for what I'm after 😉

I would go with wilko gervin at 18c
Gervin over Lalbrew?
Would you anticipate much difference in fermentation time at 18c compared to 19c and is that just for a cleaner flavour?

I nearly always pitch dry direct onto wort, however when the directions on pack are to rehydrate I usually do as instructed.
Not had any failures either way as yet ( touch wood ! )

Back