Nottingham yeast attentuation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pitched the Lalbrew Nottingham this morning, no rehydration, just sprinkled straight in.
Well I say “in”. After aerating there was a tonne of foam on top so it went on that. After a minute or so I gave it a stir in with a clean sanitised spoon. Pretty sure most ended up in the top froth but I guess it will settle down and do its job.
Rehydrating feels like it gets the yeast mixed in better but that’s just a feeling and I have zero proof that it actually does.

@dmtaylor just a quick check in on this.

Last Friday (day 6 in the FV) I took a reading at 1.016 and today (day 11) it's still sat at 1.016 (74% att.)
Looks like it's run out of puff so I'll dry hop for 3 days and keg on Saturday.

Next time I'll try something a little different see if I can get a bit more out of it.

I nearly always pitch dry direct onto wort, however when the directions on pack are to rehydrate I usually do as instructed.
Not had any failures either way as yet ( touch wood ! )

That's what I do!

As the saying goes,

"When all else fails, read the instructions" :D

@dmtaylor just a quick check in on this.

Last Friday (day 6 in the FV) I took a reading at 1.016 and today (day 11) it's still sat at 1.016 (74% att.)
Looks like it's run out of puff so I'll dry hop for 3 days and keg on Saturday.

Next time I'll try something a little different see if I can get a bit more out of it.

Oh, you are dry hopping? You may be in luck. Hops contain enzymes. It might kick off a slow renewed fermentation for several days, maybe even for a week or two.

Did you replace any malt with sugar?

Oh, you are dry hopping? You may be in luck. Hops contain enzymes. It might kick off a slow renewed fermentation for several days, maybe even for a week or two.

Did you replace any malt with sugar?
Nothing added, just the malt. I've read about this dry-hop effect before but never actually had it happen as far as I can tell. But then once I've dry-hopped in the past I can't say I've ever taken another gravity reading so maybe it has.
I'm pleased enough where it landed having sampled the sample. Bit of dry hopping and some time in the keg and hopefully it'll turn out to be a good old fashioned IPA.
If it's decent enough I'll try it with the Gervin next time and then hit the sugars after that.

Back