Notts beers days

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Reaction score
Hickings Lane Best Bitter - AG15

Nice relaxed brewday today in the sun. As we were going to a friend's for pizza at lunch, was up early to get the mash water on. All went well. Left the boiled wort in the boiler when we went out, returned 4.5hrs later to find it had cooled to 40oC. Quick cool with the coil and then in the brew fridge 👍. I'm planning to enter this into the Nottingham brew competition in early June so hoping it comes out well. My recipe was:

13L BIAB method.
1.5kg ex pale malt
0 36kg Munich malt
0.35kg wheat malt
0.196kg biscuit malt
0.05kg brown malt

18g Fuggles @ 60
15g Celeia @ 60
10g EKG @ 10
10 g First gold @ 5
60g first gold @ 0 (80oC)

CML The Firm yeast.
OG 1.042 (should have been 1.043).
FG 1.010 estimated.
Abv 4.3; 18.1 EBC; 36 IBU

This recipe was also using some hop and malt dregs. I also mashed for 90-110 mins to improve my efficiency. This workied in that I hit my target gravity, however I only recovered 11.5l from the boil and not the aimed 13l. All in all a good day (topped by some excellent homemade pizza!!).

Reaction score
Update on the his bitter. After a few issues with the yeast not getting near FG (stalled at 1.020 - I added some other yeast to get it down to 1.008), just bottled this today. Not a great tasting brew at the moment. Hopefully it will improve as it conditions.

I usually enjoy bottling as my fermentation fridge is now empty and I can start a new batch. Am at a bit of a loss however as to what to brew next. I wanted to do a bock, but then thought maybe a summer ale. Can't decide...maybe a Helles? Will have to think hard and get some supplies in fast so I can brew over the weekend. 🤔

Reaction score
AG Brew #16 - Exmoor Brewery Exmoor Gold

I've been a bit in the dumps the last week regarding brewing....usually the though of my next brew gets me hitting the books etc looking for a recipe or ideas. However, this week I just couldn't find my mojo for it. I knew today would be the only chance over the next couple of weeks to get a brew on, so I finally flicked through GW Brew your own British Real Ale last night for an easy fix.....stumbled upon the Exmoor Gold recipe and thought YES. A nice easy user-upper for some hops and a light, summer ale. After reviewing the recipe and a quick look online I settled on:

BIAB - 13L
2.3kg Morris Otter
0.16kg Wheat malt
Challenger (6.1%) - 28g @60
Fuggles (4.4%) - 12g @ 60
EKG (6%) - 6g @ 15
Fuggles - 6g @15
EKG - 15g @0 (80oC fro 20 min)
Challenger - 14g @0 (80oC for 20)

Yeast -US05 (only yeast I had available)
Mashed @ 66oC for 60mins
OG - 1.042. Target FG is 1.010.
IBU - 60; EBC 6.1

Since this was a late decision, I was quite relaxed about brewing today. The weather was nice and I had to empty my brew shed to move it (don't ask!!), thus I set up on the decking and pottered away. Hit all the targets for gravity and get 12L wort in the FV. The trial jar tasted fantastic...lovely and bitter. I was a bit concerned it was going to be too pale when I was squeezing my bag, however it looks great. It's sat in the brew fridge in the shed (managed to get moved as welll....whooo), so hopefully it will kick off tomorrow. In the end a nice relaxed brew day :beer1:, and I think I have my mojo backclapa

moto748

Landlord.
Reaction score
That Exmoor Gold/Summer Breeeze style beer is something I can't seem to get right! I see great examples on this forum, and people saying they are a foolproof regular beer to brew, but every time I've tried, the results have been distinctly underwhelming, and it's rather out me off persisting further!

Sounds like that's looking good for you, though! I wish I could put my finger on what's going wrong.

Reaction score
That Exmoor Gold/Summer Breeeze style beer is something I can't seem to get right! I see great examples on this forum, and people saying they are a foolproof regular beer to brew, but every time I've tried, the results have been distinctly underwhelming, and it's rather out me off persisting further!

Sounds like that's looking good for you, though! I wish I could put my finger on what's going wrong.
This is my first attempt at it, will see how it goes. I've probably had this in a pub at some point but can't remember. A light summer ale sounds perfect for the current weather 🍻. If it's any good I'll send you a bottle over👍

moto748

Landlord.
Reaction score
There's a whole series of those supermarket beers like Hobgoblin Gold, but I remember trying one, and it was a hell of a lot more bitter than the others, quite took me by surprise. I think it might have been the Badger one.

Reaction score
Bottled my Exmoor Gold today. FG was 1.009, so 3.94%...nice. although it has 60IBUs, this tastes great from the FV. Not very bitter. It's a lovely straw colour, this has the makings of being a lovely pint. 🍻🍻 Now to think about my next brew 🤔

Attachments

• IMG_20220603_201331356.jpg
    IMG_20220603_201331356.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 0
Reaction score
AG #17 - Landlord crossover

Put on my brew for the Summer Brew and Swap - Golden Ale. I decided to go for an easy recipe, initially inspired by the TT Landlord recipe I did a while back, which quickly deviated away from Landlord, so it won't be anything like it!! I recently made a Golden Ale using Fuggles and EKG, thus decided to try something different.

For a 13.5L batch:
2.3kg M.O. (5.9EBC)
0.125kg Carapils (9EBC)
0.075kg Biscuit (50EBC)

Bramling cross (6.5%) - 31g @ 60
Bramling cross - 5g @15
Styrian goldings (4.1%) - 36g at 0 mins (80oC for 20 mins)

IBU - 44
EBC - 9.3

I missed all of my numbers today. My preboil gravity was 1.031 (aiming for 1.034) and OG can out at 1.036 (aiming for 1.041). As I was quite low I added c.140g sugar, so my OG was 1.040/39. My final volume was also around 12L, so quite a way down from the 13L I was aiming for. My efficiency for this brew was terrible!! It may be due to forgetting to stir the mash as often as I do. I think I definitely need to think about getting a pump set-up.

I'm hoping Bramling cross and the Goldings complement each other in the brew. The taste from the trial jar was promising. I like a bitter drink so I went for the top of the guideline range for this one.

As I had to stop cooling over lunch, then add sugar to the wort before pitching the yeast, I won't be surprised if I have a contaminated brew. Hopefully this will be good enough to swap with others. Luckily I have my previous brew as a back-up.

Latest posts