Novatwist caps

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GDog

Regular.
Reaction score
Even though I've been re-using the metal caps several times, they are becoming a bit battered and bent round the edges. I've also ballsed up, and have removed the collars from the bottles and since doing so I have overtightened and trashed several lids. It seems this collar, although not part of the seal, it prevents over tightening somewhat.

Anyhoo, I've ordered 30 novatwists but I have a few questions.

1. How hard do you have to bash em down, before twisting (initial application)
2. Once used, does the 'collar' bit just sit on the bottle and remain.
3. Are any screw top bottles unsuitable? The website says to avoid bottles with only one row of threads? Mine do differ quite a bit, with some having a good set of threads, but some do just have 1-2 .

Al

I've been using them for a few months :

I just press down hard with hand until they don't go any more .

I leave the collar on when re use.

I've never come across a bottle that doesn't yet not take the screw top. I lie my bottles down and no leakages to date !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brill thank you, lying down is useful, as they can go in my wine racks in that case

Mmmm, interesting one. Leave the collar on? Not sure why unless as suggested it prevents overtightening on reuse but with the movement there I cannot see this being a help at all.

It's more aesthetically pleasing more than anything for me - when I reuse the top it butts up to collar nicely and doesn't look cheap or nasty which I find a top on it's own does. Simples .

It's more aesthetically pleasing more than anything for me - when I reuse the top it butts up to collar nicely and doesn't look cheap or nasty which I find a top on it's own does. Simples .

Yep, can accept the aesthetics. Can see no other purpose though unless preserving life and especially limb when cutting the buggers off by slipping a knife underneath and twisting in the direction of aforesaid limb!! :lol:

Yep, can accept the aesthetics. Can see no other purpose though unless preserving life and especially limb when cutting the buggers off by slipping a knife underneath and twisting in the direction of aforesaid limb!! :lol:

Agreed mate - bad enough getting the metal ones off in the first place !!

Mmmm, interesting one. Leave the collar on? Not sure why unless as suggested it prevents overtightening on reuse but with the movement there I cannot see this being a help at all.

I think there is a bit of a mix up here, the OP said he cut the metal collar off the bottles left by the original metal bottle caps and it caused him to overtighten them, the novatwist collar is there for aesthetic reasons not to prevent overtightening.

Latest posts

Back