Novatwist Reusable Plastic Screw Caps For Wine Bottles.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot to add i have used these many times over and they are a brilliant.

Hi @Chippy_Tea .
I have saved bottles recently.
(Couldn't find all my old bottles bar 6 unused )
I used to use the plastic champagne type stoppers and only have 8 of these left.
I was planning on buying more but remembered the size issue on screw tops.
(So 30 plus bottles and plastic corks disappeared, 🤔 )

Out of the 50+ bottles i have now,
Six are none screw.
32 lidl California merlot.
The rest mixed brands,

Interestingly the lidl California are around 19mm inside diameter,
The mixed brands are around 20mm,
(Forgot to check the 6 none screw but should be 19mm)
But the lidl and mixed are around the same outside so thicker glass on the lidl like none screw bottles.
The plastic push fit corks fit a treat but obviously are too loose in the mixed brands. Although the screw tops are interchangeable.

I was wondering about the novatwist being reusable due to the tamper proof collar but the video explained that.

Reusing the metal screw tops crossed my mind and @Ken L
Confirmed that. How many uses do you get Ken ?

The push fits can be awkward to remove when tight and aren't much cheaper than Nova's.
The Nova's look good and easy but
Will only look good for first fit with collars and at £15 for 50 I'm wondering if there are plastic bottle tops out there that will fit ?

Sorry to go on lol but was considering my options, I've actually put all the mixed bottles out for recycling this morning but figured the lidl bottles were better option and I will certainly acquire more :D
I'll probably take the route of @Ken L and ask friends for replacement tops.

IMG_20200917_060246045.jpg

Last edited:
When you take off the top for the first time the sleeve is left on the bottle if you like the look of the top and sleeve simply use the same bottle and cap there is only a fine line left between sleeve and cap, to be honest i binned the sleeves shortly after but have used the caps numerous times and they are still airtight.

When you take off the top for the first time the sleeve is left on the bottle if you like the look of the top and sleeve simply use the same bottle and cap there is only a fine line left between sleeve and cap, to be honest i binned the sleeves shortly after but have used the caps numerous times and they are still airtight.

Thanks, I'm tempted to buy 50 for £14.99 but I'm a bit tight lol.
Certainly bottle wise i have saved a fortune and to reuse the screw caps saves more.
Just reading the crown cap thread and i have kept most to go with the 150 or so 330ml and
50 x 500ml bottles ive collected.

Though I've been splashing out on kit lately and may take the plunge.
More is better :)

@Chippy_Tea
Was pondering whether to buy some novatwist or plastic push fit corks,
Was concerned about the size of the screw cap bottles i kept with smaller inside diameter to accept corks and whether they had a different outside diameter so rendering novatwist useless.

I thought I'd been mistaken as the push fit plastic corks were too small for the bottle i had from last night.
I checked the 38 bottles I've collected and only five
(thank god)
Are a different size,
I noticed the ones with a smaller inside diameter are a darker glass,
So i assume thicker as outside diameter/caps the same,
(Didn't measure just tried caps)

I remember now having the same problem in the past where some screw tops are the same as corked bottles and some are bigger but was surprised that some are different on the same wines.

You can clearly see the one on the left is much darker.

IMG_20200921_182631452.jpg

Nice one, i am still using the original ones i bought in 2015 and they are still airtight, worth every penny.

Nice one, i am still using the original ones i bought in 2015 and they are still airtight, worth every penny.

I was going to buy the push in plastic ones but remembered they used to get damaged easily and were a pita to get out.
For an extra £4.50 these will be much easier and fit both size internal diameter screw top bottles.

just noticed get er brewed sell 12 for £1.95 but out of stock.
i thought get er brewed did free postage for orders over a certain amount but can't see anything ?

I'll have to make do with gold too. Must be unpopular lol.

He says the white disc inside the cap crushes as you tighten the cap and may not be airtight after several uses, he might be right but i have used mine many times over and they are all still airtight.

I posted the statement above in 2015 i am still using the same ones and they are still airtight.

A member in another thread has been having problems getting hem to seal it may be the bottles he is using .

Watch the video below -

At 1:05 he shows the bottle thread

At 2:30 he shows how to put the cap on.

Hi Johnny, not sure of postage costs but Brewgenie in Telford are cheap
Thanks Bruce, I checked them out but they seem to think that most of Scotland is an island, they don`t understand what Mainland Scotland means """
Order value up to - £64.99 postage charge £6.95

£65.00 and above POSTAGE FREE.

These charges apply to mainland U.K. only with the exceptions of the following postcodes:

AB31-38, AB40-56, BT, GY, HS, JE, IM, IV, KA27-28, KW, PA20-78, PH4-50, ZE. also all off shore Islands and Northern Ireland. Carriage costs to these areas plus the rest of the world will be charged at cost and will be available on request.

Latest posts

Back