November Competition - Lagers, Pseudo-lagers and Hybrid Beers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickDundee

Landlord.
Reaction score
Apologies for the late thread, but I had it in my head this was the December Competition (probably because I had in my head I’d be judging December and got totally muddled).

I’m judging, lagers, pseudo lagers and hybrids which is actually quite useful for me because I have a Mexican Lager, Kolsch and Cali Common in my conditioning/chilling fridge and it would be interesting to see how they compare.

As usual, PM me for my address and I’ll be judging at the start of December - I’ll accept beers up to Friday 6th.

I might have something. I'm fermenting a schwarzbier with Wy2112 California at the moment, I do have a lager but it tastes more like a Belgian blonde.

Got 2 for this....Munich dunkel and a schwartzbier. Thanks for the address.
Yes please @MickDundee - I'm away for work this coming week but can hopefully get something in the post before the end of the month once I'm back.

I've got a Vienna lager and a Baltic Porter, plus if I'm allowed I'm tempted to also throw in my Munich Helles - only just bottled it but might be carbed by the time you come to judge.

Bit off topic @MartinHaworth , but I've got Munich Dunkel & Schwartzbier on my to-brew list, let me know if you have a brew day thread for these, would be interested to know more athumb..

@matt76 Munich Dunkel and Schwartzbier are well worth brewing. In particular the Dunkel - the decoction adds so much complexity! I've been using 34/70 a lot recently following a bulk buy at our brew club, and it is a lovely clean lager yeast quite forgiving of temperature (12C for 3 days then bring it up 1C each day to finish at 18C).

I have been neglecting my brewday thread, but have put a few bits on it this morning (Martin's Brewday). Have a look, and I'm happy to answer any questions.

Martin

PM me your address. Super busy at the moment and have no mobile so hardly on here. I will need to source some boxes (unless you want to return a bottle).

Just posted today (sorry - w*rk and l*fe getting in the way).

Should be with you Monday. Both bottle conditioned, so should need a bit of a settle before drinking.
So far you are the only confirmed entry so you’re on track to take a clean see of the winning places!

Hahahaha! <strokes white cat> my plan for world domination proceeds.

I'm finding that dark lagers are working well for me as the nights draw in, but I'd comment that many people look towards darker not-lagers for winter drinking.

I'm having to restrain myself from posting about the beers lest I influence your judgment! I'm really looking forward to reading what you think.

Judging next weekend?

Hahahaha! <strokes white cat> my plan for world domination proceeds.

I'm finding that dark lagers are working well for me as the nights draw in, but I'd comment that many people look towards darker not-lagers for winter drinking.

I'm having to restrain myself from posting about the beers lest I influence your judgment! I'm really looking forward to reading what you think.

Judging next weekend?
Depends how many entries I have. Next week if I’m likely only going to have a 1st, 2nd and 3rd, the following week with some help if I’m going to have more entries

I got 5 from 3 entrants. I plan to have either 2 or 3 tonight and the remainder tomorrow night. I don’t need to draft in my helpers.

Last edited:
I’ve gone through them all now. Are you ready for the results?

The standard was very high. I was really pleased with the standard of the entries and as a result, I’ve probably been a bit harsh with the judging as a result.

In 5th place is @mitchmalt with his Marian Oktoberfest with a score of 23/30:

B845E3A9-FBD7-46ED-8B3C-F53674285EA1.jpeg

Appearance - lovely orange colour. Yeast wasn’t particularly flocculant and started leaping out of the bottle before I’d even poured half of it, left it a bit murky looking. Nice head with decent head retention 4/5

Aroma - slight hints of liquorice which I found a little unpleasant; otherwise clean and malty. 6/10

Taste - malty (nice and bready), smooth, clean, carbonated perfectly. Found the bitterness a little harsh but IBUs are probably about right - maybe hop choice? Slight vinegary element to aftertaste. 13/15

I enjoyed this beer a lot. If the bitterness was less harsh and aftertaste was sorted out, this would have been a contender.

Last edited:
In joint 3rd place is @MartinHaworth with his Munich Dunkel
C9A896FC-9EDE-4641-BD57-0E66FE71A872.jpeg

Appearance - very dark, almost black with a red hue, darker than any other dunkel I’ve had. I could see through it but not completely. Good head at first, but disappeared about a fifth of the way down the glass. 3.5/5

Aroma - slightly roasty, very slight vinegary tartness. 6/10

Flavour - A little cloying but a nice complex flavour profile. Very pleasant crackery, almost nutty aftertaste. Would have preferred a touch more bitterness. Carbonation is fine. 14/15

Flavour wise this was probably the most interesting of the beers. Very complex - I assume there’s some dark Munich and at least one other speciality malt.

Latest posts

Back