Nylon Bag and Ceramic Beads For Dry Hopping??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyBlue

Reaction score
I’m ready to dry hop my latest brew and was wondering whether it was ok to use a nylon bag weighed down with ceramic baking beads to hold the hops down. Obviously these would be sterilised and sanitised before use so would it be ok or is a muslin bag and marbles a better option??

🍻

I use the Nylon bags from Lidl (probably the same as the Aldi ones). I don’t bother weighing them down. They Float on the top but then sink to the bottom after a few days anyway. As an aside, I also use the same bags for hop additions on a brew day. The label says they can be washed at 30 degrees but mine undergo 60 minute boils without a problem.

Sainsbury’s net veg bag, stainless steel balls and a plastic float tied to the bag with a piece of thread. Helps to retrieve the bag and give it a squeeze when finished.
AEE6B155-AEA7-4467-9103-9AC6BAA7E45D.jpeg

These net bags supermarkets are doing are brilliant. I picked up a few from Aldi the other day.

These net bags supermarkets are doing are brilliant. I picked up a few from Aldi the other day.
Are the bags just called "net vegetable bags" or something more specific and how much are they. I've just had a nightmare trying to cleanly rack with loose hop pellets from dry hopping, I will never do them loose again. Most of the hop particles seemed to remain floating (I was expecting them to sink to the trub), but when disturbed (even very slightly) some began falling and then refloating, it was like a fecking lava lamp!!! LOL.

They are found in the fruit and vegetable areas instead of the plastic bags. Sainsbury’s are 30p.
Are they just purchasable on their own, or are people getting their veg in them and then reusing them? Sorry for the dumb questions, I don't normally do the food shopping, as you can probably tell. LOL.

Are they just purchasable on their own, or are people getting their veg in them and then reusing them? Sorry for the dumb questions, I don't normally do the food shopping, as you can probably tell. LOL.
The idea is that customers reuse them for their loose veg but us canny brewers get SWMBO to get a couple extra for brewing. You can buy them on their own.

Thanks guys, i plumped for a nylon veg bag from Sainsburys (30p) and some glass beads from The Range (purchased by the mother- in law so don’t have a price!!)
564A90F4-2E22-4472-B486-4A0032C178AD.jpeg

I use nylon paint straining bags for dry hopping and in the boil as well. Got a Sainsbury veg bag from a relative and that works better, with the drawstring.

Latest posts

Back