Oak barrels

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willshill1

Reaction score
Hi everyone I make wine and want to step it up by oak ageing, I’m looking a 15/20 litre oak barrels, now I’ve seen loads online for €70 /£260 , crazy difference in prices , can anyone recommend a maker/seller, or even advice on whether I’m wasting my time and money, thanks William

Thank you been googling and can only get mentions of Christmas ale and that’s a long way off

Maybe trade only friendly landlord? I've sent the guy a message illnlet you know. Looks like he's kegged it now.
FB_IMG_1593034021691.jpg

Pretty sure the oak will depend on what style of wine you’re after. I’ve been eyeing up some French oak barrels for when the boss authorises such a purchase

Pretty sure the oak will depend on what style of wine you’re after. I’ve been eyeing up some French oak barrels for when the boss authorises such a purchase
Hi I like Bordeaux styles and Rioja so french oak probably works although as I’m using better kits wines 20 litres barrels would be my max size if that what you’re sourcing,

Regards the old peculier barrels they are a Christmas special thing you have to collect from the brewery and you can get in touch with them to be put on a mailing list for when they are available.

Thanks Stigman , I’m in Northern Ireland so not viable , thinking about the amount of barrels purchased and dumped maybe recycled etc ,

Don't know about wine, but you can use oak chips in beer,
Just tasted a wine which had 2 packs of oak dust and one of oak chips during primary and secondary ferment , no oak taste at all, maybe in time when it ages more and other flavours, think it takes time in a barrel

Don't know about wine, but you can use oak chips in beer,
Just tasted a wine which had 2 packs of oak dust and one of oak chips during primary and secondary ferment , no oak taste at all, maybe in time when it ages more and other flavours

Latest posts

Back