Oak chips in a WOW?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richie_asg1

Reaction score
I've noticed my local garden centre is selling old oak staves from whisky barrels quite cheaply...and I have power tools - so I can make plenty of wood chips. But they are also available in bags for smokers and BBQ's.

Would it be best to sterilise them by steaming before adding to anything? Also at what point would I use them for a flavouring of a deep red fruit wine (like a hedgerow and elderberry). Would they go in at the beginning when the yeast is active or more traditionally during the whole of the ageing process?

I've an old red win barrel I use for this and cut the staves into 1.5-2 mm thick strips on a bandsaw. To sterilise I put them in the oven for 45 mins on a low heat then break them up and seal in a sterile jar till I need them.
Put them in at the end of fermentation as the alcohol will help stop any potential contamination, plus you've a chance to taste the wine and may not want change it.

Well they are stacked outside - but so are the barrels that I have seen in passing on the train outside the breweries. I would think they are well weathered, and have been mouldy in the past, but heat would kill off any of that, and if I was was producing wood shavings from it then baking, then it should have some oak characteristics coming through.

Well they are stacked outside - but so are the barrels that I have seen in passing on the train outside the breweries. I would think they are well weathered, and have been mouldy in the past, but heat would kill off any of that, and if I was was producing wood shavings from it then baking, then it should have some oak characteristics coming through.

I was more thinking of the whiskey flavours being lost. If you are just after oak, just buy fresh oak. Pm me if you are interested in some whiskey oak chunks

Back