Oak chips in port ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bud

Reaction score
Hi all.

I am doing a port following GA's now famous receipt. I read about adding oak chips which sounds a good idea to me. Can someone recommend what type as I see various types on Homebrew sites. Sherry. French. Whiskey. Medium. Heavy. Any advice and suggestions appreciated. Also when should I put them in and for how long. So far about a week in and have just put through a jelly bag and into a demijohn with some extra sugar. Thanks in advance.

Wanted to give this a bump.
I have got my port into secondary. And is bubbling away nicely. Took reading today and at 1018. Gonna wait until it gets to about 1010 and add my last lot of sugar. This will be about 250g. Total so far will be about 1.25 kg sugar and about 7lb fruit. I'm guessing for 4.5l that will be about 16/17%, but that is a guess. An ideas out there on type and time for adding oak or other chips. Cheers.

Any ideas on time for oak chips. I have in secondary at the Mo and I think it will finish shortly although will leave a year or so before bottling. Is it too late to oak it.

Latest posts

Back