Oak Homebrew Beer kits - 5/19/23/25 Ltr Full Grain kits - Ideal for beginners and smaller bellies

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did an 8pt kit of theirs a couple of years ago. Personally I found it a lot of work for such a small amount. I think I did an IPA it tasted ok but nothing exceptional.

Thanks, should be here tomorrow then. Was going to borrow a pot off the MIL but she had got pints and litres confused (face palm) so that's a no go. Found a 7 litre stock pot at Argos for £13.50 instead, which I can use for other stuff too.

Thanks, should be here tomorrow then. Was going to borrow a pot off the MIL but she had got pints and litres confused (face palm) so that's a no go. Found a 7 litre stock pot at Argos for £13.50 instead, which I can use for other stuff too.
Good work Bob. My 8ltr pot arrives tomorrow which i found on fleabay for 10quid incl delivery so we should commence brewing at the same time. 😉
What kit did you go for?

I went for Freckled Birdie, it's supposed to be a Speckled Hen clone. If it arrives in time I'll get started on Saturday eve.

I went for Freckled Birdie, it's supposed to be a Speckled Hen clone. If it arrives in time I'll get started on Saturday eve.
Im not a huge fan of the hen but none the less im interested to follow the progress.

When i say im not a huge fan. I mean one would consume if forced (offered) 😂😂

I'm going to borrow a big pan off the mother in law and have a go. Cheers.

Pan has just arrived! Pat brought it.

No prizes for guessing my days activities. 😂

Attachments

• 20201003_095711.jpg
    20201003_095711.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 139
While newly back in the saddle I was looking locally for homebrew supply shops close by....and with the exception of the regulation "Wilko's" I stumbled upon Oak Home Brew based in Syston Leics
I went there in my lunch break a couple of years ago expecting it to be a shop and when I got there it was just a house so never bothered as I had a regular HBS near me(closed down now).

I went there in my lunch break a couple of years ago expecting it to be a shop and when I got there it was just a house so never bothered as I had a regular HBS near me(closed down now).
Not even sure what that means. What relavance?

Proprietor has been in homebrew for about 30 years. Id say its good business sense. Low overheads. A good choice. Im certainly happy enough so far. Cheers! ☺

So far its proving very labour intensive. Been at it 2.5hrs so far! I will post pics later. 😎
You will be doing well if you can get it all done, that's complete start to finish, in less than four hours, including getting everything set up and finally clearing up. The most frustrating part for me is waiting while the wort cools in the sink with successive batches of cold water. Did you use your oven on a low setting to maintain the mash temperature in the pot, that's what I do with my 11litre pot, and it works really well.

You will be doing well if you can get it all done, that's complete start to finish, in less than four hours, including getting everything set up and finally clearing up. The most frustrating part for me is waiting while the wort cools in the sink with successive batches of cold water. Did you use your oven on a low setting to maintain the mash temperature in the pot, that's what I do with my 11litre pot, and it works really well.
Hob on low setting to maintain temp.
6.5hr marathon although i was in no rush. Popping back and forth to kitchen while watching tv.

Had to mess around with volumes a bit as my main pot 8lts. Secondary about 3ltrs. But i managed it. Pics in seperate post. 😉

Ok. What a slog today was.
However it was literally my first ever attempt at beer. FG Rutland Abbey Ale form oakhomebrew.

Easy enough. Instructions were a bit vague in areas but ok really.

Had to mess around with volumes a bit and deviate from instr slightly due to size of secondary pan
On the whole. A pleasant day was had. Labour intensive. Back and forth from the LR watching tv to kitchen all day. 6.5hrs.

Attachments

• 20201003_111522.jpg
    20201003_111522.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 145
  • 20201003_113020.jpg
    20201003_113020.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 146
  • 20201003_130911.jpg
    20201003_130911.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 157
  • 20201003_171918.jpg
    20201003_171918.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 137
Looks like you made beer in the end. What is the secondary pan used for and how big does it need to be?

Looks like you made beer in the end. What is the secondary pan used for and how big does it need to be?
Instr say pan1 is 4ltrs water plus the malts. So the displacement takes it to about 6ltrs.
Pan2 is 3.4ltrs plus the malts displacement is about 5lts.
Instr are different for each beer.
You dobthe first brew. Then second then add pan2 to pan1 giving about 7ltrs liquid to which is simmered down with the introduction of the 3 hops at different time stages.
Simmering gets rid of 2plus ltrs.

But the website says all I need is 1 large saucepan. I've watched videos on Youtube about brewing 5 litre beer kits and they only use one pot too. I hope I don't need to buy another one.

Latest posts

Back