Oak Homebrew Beer kits - 5/19/23/25 Ltr Full Grain kits - Ideal for beginners and smaller bellies

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But the website says all I need is 1 large saucepan. I've watched videos on Youtube about brewing 5 litre beer kits and they only use one pot too. I hope I don't need to buy another one.
If the second pot is for a batch sparge of the grain left in the bag following separation from the mash liquid all you need is a (preferably food safe) container that is suitable for handling liquids at about 75*C. I use a 15litre plastic FV, which is more than enough for what I actually need. In your case a similar 10litre container would be fine. So you don't need a second pot. I just pour the batch sparge liquid into the main pot ready for the boil to commence.

If the second pot is for a batch sparge of the grain left in the bag following separation from the mash liquid all you need is a (preferably food safe) container that is suitable for handling liquids at about 75*C. I use a 15litre plastic FV, which is more than enough for what I actually need. In your case a similar 10litre container would be fine. So you don't need a second pot. I just pour the batch sparge liquid into the main pot ready for the boil to commence.
Sounds good and about right. I made a bit of a mess but all was well. Second was the residue water heated to 85 degrees then the 'bag' placed in it, removed from heat and left for an hour then tipped into pot 1. No idea why i was just 'following ze orders' 😂

But the website says all I need is 1 large saucepan. I've watched videos on Youtube about brewing 5 litre beer kits and they only use one pot too. I hope I don't need to buy another one.
Nah just root around in the wifes drawers... i mean cupboards. 😆😉

Sounds good and about right. I made a bit of a mess but all was well. Second was the residue water heated to 85 degrees then the 'bag' placed in it, removed from heat and left for an hour then tipped into pot 1. No idea why i was just 'following ze orders' 😂
Cant see the need to leave it for an hour. With grain weights <2kg you can easily move the bag around to ensure the grain is fully rinsed and this will extract most of the residual sugars. I do this and the bag is in the sparge liquid no more than about 10 minutes whilst the 'first runnings' are heating up in the pot ready for the boil. This works for me timewise, and more to the point I still get good efficiency. And finally with such small volumes a kitchen kettle can be used to heat up brewing water, which, in my case, is much quicker than using the cooker hob .

Cant see the need to leave it for an hour. With grain weights <2kg you can easily move the bag around to ensure the grain is fully rinsed and this will extract most of the residual sugars. I do this and the bag is in the sparge liquid no more than about 10 minutes whilst the 'first runnings' are heating up in the pot ready for the boil. This works for me timewise, and more to the point I still get good efficiency. And finally with such small volumes a kitchen kettle can be used to heat up brewing water, which, in my case, is much quicker than using the cooker hob .
Im sure i will figure this out as i get more experienced/proficient.
Until then im happy to follow an idiots guide.

Kit arrived today, I'm looking forward to making it, hopefully this weekend athumb..
Im doing my second one on Saturday. The Buds IPA.
The Rutland Abbey has stopped fermenting. Toying with adding finings prior to racking or bottling. Not sure how to play it!

Has anyone done the lager kit and do they come with a bag to brew in?

Has anyone done the lager kit and do they come with a bag to brew in?
Do you mean mash? All the kits to my knowledge come with a net bag which you just tie off when full. I'm only making the 5ltr kits so far.

@Libigage I posted pics in this thread of my kitchen setup. you can see the netting

Only just received my kit today after 10 days waiting. Had to chase them up before they'd send it. And it seems I do need 2 big pans according to the instructions.

Last edited:
Just had a look at the website out of curiosity. Don't think I'd buy from anyone who delivers via Hermes. Have heard nothing but bad reports.
Don't GeterBrewed do recipe kits to order and in sizes to suit any brewer's pan?

Just had a look at the website out of curiosity. Don't think I'd buy from anyone who delivers via Hermes. Have heard nothing but bad reports.
Don't GeterBrewed do recipe kits to order and in sizes to suit any brewer's pan?
Just ordered some stuff off Get Er Brewed you can create your own all grain kit which I thought was really good. Ford time buying stuff like this so not sure how competitively priced it is. Delivers was £6.95 to mainland UK but looked like it will be shipped express. I guess I'll find out on Monday.

They do the custom grain kits only downsides with them is that they do nit seem to offer the full range of hops which is a bit of a pain if you want anything even slightly out of the norm I.e. no Bramling cross. Overall I’m rather found of them as I do a lot of 9-12L batches being able to order just what I need is great.

As for Hermes they are in my view very area dependent, i.e. in my area the delivery driver is great.

Just ordered some stuff off Get Er Brewed you can create your own all grain kit which I thought was really good. Ford time buying stuff like this so not sure how competitively priced it is. Delivers was £6.95 to mainland UK but looked like it will be shipped express. I guess I'll find out on Monday.

Its worth bearing in mind that DPD Ireland to the UK is normally two working days so if it’s them good chance it won’t show up till Tuesday.

Only just received my kit today after 10 days waiting. Had to chase them up before they'd send it. And it seems I do need 2 big pans according to the instructions, even after asking them beforehand and they said I wouldn't and refused to send me instructions before purchase.
Tell us what the instructions say and members will make some suggestions.
In my experience of doing stove top BIAB you don't need two stock pots. If you are heating water up for 5 litre batches, use your kettle. So you only need one pot in which to do the boil (although I do the mash in that as well), and another vessel in which to do the batch sparge, and for that I use a small FV, although anything food grade and capable of withstanding 75*C should be OK.

In my experience of doing stove top BIAB you don't need two stock pots. If you are heating water up for 5 litre batches, use your kettle. So you only need one pot in which to do the boil (although I do the mash in that as well), and another vessel in which to do the batch sparge, and for that I use a small FV, although anything food grade and capable of withstanding 75*C should be OK.
Being an absolute BIAB beginner, what is a batch sparge? My plan was to drain the bag into the cooking pot after mashing in it, squeeze the bag and then boil.

Being an absolute BIAB beginner, what is a batch sparge? My plan was to drain the bag into the cooking pot after mashing in it, squeeze the bag and then boil.
A batch sparge is the process where the grain bag is removed from the mash vessel after it has been completed (in my case from my boil pot) and transferred to another vessel which contains hot water (say about 75*C) which then rinses or sparges more of the residual sugars from the grain. That way you get more efficiency than a full volume mash. For stove top with smallish grain weights and bags you can easily move the bag in the sparge liquid to speed up the extraction, and in my case this takes no longer than about 10 minutes in total. I then remove the bag from the sparge liquid and combine the sparge liquid with the liquid from the mash to prepare for the boil.

My plan is to mash in the boil pot and rinse the grain bag in the wok. It was planned for today but I've got to get some bottling done first........so my first BIAB brew is on the back burner for now.......:coat:

I posted a picture of the instructions in another thread.
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/beer-kit-from-oak-homebrew-instructions.90258/

My advice to you is to buy the largest stock pot you can accommodate on your hob to successfully boil the hops in the wort. In my case this is an 11 litre pot* in which I can boil 9 litres. I can also fit the stock pot in my oven on a low setting to accurately control the mash temperature Buying big gives you the flexibility to increase your brew size. That fulfils paras 1 and 2 in the instructions, provided your single pot is greater than 6.5 litres.
For para 3 which is the batch sparge you will only need a food safe container which can withstand 75-85*C. I use a 15 litre FV which is more than enough. And I heat the water in my kitchen kettle in batches as required to make up the batch sparge volume.
And then for para 4, pour the sparge liquid from para 3 into the stock pot, which has already been heating reasdy for the boil.
So all you need is one stock pot and another (plastic?) vessel and a kettle.
* This is what I bought
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gastro-L...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Latest posts

Back