Oak sticks

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbl147

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using toasted Oak sticks to give their wine extra Oak flavor. Had a quick look and can't see any threads. Any advice appreciated
Dan

Oak chips are common in kits and members have used them in their own recipes, i have never heard of oak sticks are these from a home brew shop?

It's all about surface area, using chips and shavings mean there's a large surface area to the volume in contact with your wine. I do a bit of wood work so when I want oak I just get out the plane and shave some off some old wine barrel staves I have. That said I use sticks of oak (long and thin so they fit in the bottle) toasted in the oven to flavour cheap vodka (gives it a bourbon like taste) . The sticks toast better as they don't burn as easily as shavings but I put multiple saw cuts in them, again to increase the surface area.

Thanks for your input Led Zep. I was just browsing homebrew stuff on eBay and saw they were for sale. Did a bit of investigation on toasting them and thought they might be a good way to get extra Oak in future wine.
Dan

Latest posts

Back