Oat wine ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chef-Ozzy

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm new to the site. Only been making my own wine the last two years so other than helping my grandad as a young boy and nicking his wine as a teenager I'm a newbie.

I was sat down today ordering some yeast ball's for a batch of Chinese rice wine " shaoxing huangjiu"style.
Just wondering if anyone one has or heard of making wine from oats on the same principles as rice wine making.
Theoretically it should work as the Aspergillus Oryzae or as most know it as Koji, feeds on starch and converts it to fermentable sugars.

I'm sure it must have been tried, I carnt find any information on it though.

Last edited:
The Wikepidia page says it works with rice, other grains and potatoes so it should work. If using raw oats you would have to boil them 1st.

Have had rice wine (Saki) with Sushi before (warm usually) are you hoping for something similar? Could you supply a link to the yeast you are planning? I suspect you plan to make a runny water based porridge & ferment that?

Hi thanks for your reply.

I'm surprised that very little info can be found. Maybe the flavor isn't to be desired.
Basically as it was just a thought that I may put into practice. I would use whole oats. Follow my exact method for my rice wine.
I Steam the rice as this is what I was told, never to submerge the rice in water. I'm not sure why possibly tradition or science or a combination. I also add additional rice usually 1 week after first fermentation for a further 2 weeks. This Increases fermentables. End result is around 18% slightly sweet wine.
Less additional rice more yeast balls equals a dryer wine.

Have had rice wine (Saki) with Sushi before (warm usually) are you hoping for something similar? Could you supply a link to the yeast you are planning? I suspect you plan to make a runny water based porridge & ferment that?
No and yes as they all bare similarities. This more based on a traditional Chinese wine usually yellow in colour "shaoxing haoxing " used alot in cooking but great as a drinking wine also.
I usually get the yeast balls from my local asian store I also use 60% milled shortgrain rice that I buy from the same shop. This time Im purchasing from ebay as im not able to get the yeast balls at the moment. Im not sure on the brand but they are or seem to be the only supplyer on eBay UK.

You got me thinking, Oats Banana & Raisin. What are the yeast balls?

Sounds interesting. Plenty of starch in the bananas.
Instead of adding additional rice replace with boiled bannana mash.
I did a hoped rice wine which was very nice. The reason was to help with shelf life as hops are a natural preservatives.

Sounds interesting, could you give some more info on the yeast?
Sounds interesting, could you give some more info on the yeast?

Hi

Apologies if my replys are all over. I'm using my phone and to be honest not very well at that.
Here's a link to the yeast balls;

https://m.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...H0.Xyeast+ball.TRS0&_nkw=yeast+balls&_sacat=0

Hopefully it works as it's a link via android.

They are all that is needed for 1 kg of rice. Weight is dry rice weight.
I usually add a cup...ish of rice a week later followed by another a week after that roughly. I say roughly as I watch and taste the wine over the process.
It's very different from the other wine's as there is no starting gravity. There is also another of variables involved.
Alot of it depends on intuition.
The only extra sugar I use is around a cup of soft brown sugar at the start to help fermentation and around 2 ltr of cooled boiled water.
Once the yeast balls arrive I'm thinking I might just do a side by side journal exact same ingredients and method apart from swapping the rice in one with whole oats.

You also got me thinking, topping up with bannana instead of rice weekly. Never thought of it before, I've not used bannana before. How does wine clear after using bannana?

You also got me thinking, topping up with bannana instead of rice weekly. Never thought of it before, I've not used bannana before. How does wine clear after using bannana?

I don't know much about making wine to be fair (I only make beer), so as to how banana in the wine would clear I am not sure maybe others on here may be able to help. Another thought to bring some different flavour would be toasting the oats again this is not something I have done but have read about others doing it.

I have some of the "Rice leven" sold by Ali-Express for making wine/conjee but have ye to try it.

I've just racked a banana wine I put on three weeks ago, which has finished. It's pretty clear already and I expect it to be crystal clear without needing finings. I used amylase, which performs the same function as Aspergillus Oryzae, so I guess your wine will clear too. I also used pectolase.

I've just racked a banana wine I put on three weeks ago, which has finished. It's pretty clear already and I expect it to be crystal clear without needing finings. I used amylase, which performs the same function as Aspergillus Oryzae, so I guess your wine will clear too. I also used pectolase.

Hi IainM
Thanks. That's good to know. I use pectolase in all my wines. Made the mistake not doing so in my first wine. Tasted good just not great to look at or to give as a gift, didn't mind the not gifting part mind you though. I'm greedy and don't like sharing.
I had thought of using amylase but I'm not sure the distinct taste would be there in the rice wine.

I had thought of using amylase but I'm not sure the distinct taste would be there in the rice wine.
Sure, it's a pretty blunt tool for breaking down starches. I'm sure if you could do it microbially you'd end up with something more characterful.

Sure, it's a pretty blunt tool for breaking down starches. I'm sure if you could do it microbially you'd end up with something more characterful.

What's the characteristics of bannana wine. Does it still smell and taste like bannana?
Do you have a recipe? like the sound of bannana wine.

What's the characteristics of bannana wine. Does it still smell and taste like bannana?
Do you have a recipe? like the sound of bannana wine.
I haven't made it before, but from what I read it has a lot of body and is good for mixing with wines that are thin, such as elderflower. From what I can smell and taste in the trial jar it does still smell and taste like banana, even though some of the aroma has bubbled off compared to the unfermented must.

EDIT: the recipe is in my brewday thread.

I haven't made it before, but from what I read it has a lot of body and is good for mixing with wines that are thin, such as elderflower. From what I can smell and taste in the trial jar it does still smell and taste like banana, even though some of the aroma has bubbled off compared to the unfermented must.

EDIT: the recipe is in my brewday thread.
Perfect thanks. Will have a go at this one.

Looks interesting Ken.
Have you tried it yet?

I received some new yeast balls on Monday.
Rice wine on the go hoped with some citra today.

Latest posts

Back