Oatmeal

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moto748

Landlord.
Reaction score
Oatmeal stouts always seem to be brewed with ordinary flaked oats, or sometimes 'naked' oats. What about actual oatmeal? I've never seen a recipe calling for it, but the name suggests that at least at one time, oatmeal would have been used. Anyone done so?

Do you mean supermarket porridge oats? In which case, yes I use them all the time. In fact the only time I’ve used “brewing” oats I’ve been disappointed compared to my Tesco Value oats.

Do you mean supermarket porridge oats? In which case, yes I use them all the time. In fact the only time I’ve used “brewing” oats I’ve been disappointed compared to my Tesco Value oats.
Have you ever had any issues wihen brewing with rolled oats ? Recent porter at weekend had oats and I missed my expected OG by quite a bit.

Also had this issue with another porter last year.

Oatmeal stouts always seem to be brewed with ordinary flaked oats, or sometimes 'naked' oats. What about actual oatmeal? I've never seen a recipe calling for it, but the name suggests that at least at one time, oatmeal would have been used. Anyone done so?
I have used the supermarket rolled oats on three occasions now and all missed OG by a significant amount. I must be doing something wrong

I've always used 'porridge' oats. As I remarked on the thread, your porter did have a lot of oats in it, jayk. More than I have normally used. I have found that typically, oats in a brew reduces my efficiency from around 71% to around 67%. So less, but not disastrous.

MickDundee>

I was talking about using this stuff, actual oatmeal:

pinhead.jpg

Have you ever had any issues wihen brewing with rolled oats ? Recent porter at weekend had oats and I missed my expected OG by quite a bit.

Also had this issue with another porter last year.
Not significantly. I lose a few points depending how sticky the mash is, but for one beer I actually exceeded my target gravity.

However, I only ever use them in small amounts in NEIPAs and Witbier so it maybe depends on volumes as well. Rice hulls help with preventing a stuck mash but I’ve only use them the one time I’ve gone >20% oats, I’m ordinarily around the 10% mark (usually around 200-300g for a 5kg total grain bill) and “get away with it” by not using them.

Last edited:
I have this vague notion that steel-cut, as they call it, rolled 'porridge' oats are a relatively modern innovation. At one time, people made porridge with oatmeal (as in the Bob Marley song). I used to do it myself, years ago. It's best to let the oatmeal steep in the milk overnight. So back in the day, I guess oatmeal was the only available option for brewers too.

Interesting to read this thread as I've just brewed my first oatmeal stout.
I was copying a recipe that called for rolled oats but ended up with malted oats instead.

As I understand it the difference is they have more potential sugars due to enzymes from malting.

I used 400gm in a 5.15kg grain bill, 7.8%
(equal quantity chocolate malt, 350gm Cara and 4kg Maris Otter. 18L batch, bittered with EKG.)

Been in the barrel a month and conditioning nicely, lovely velvety creaminess.

Interesting article on differences between rolled and malted here

https://byo.com/article/brewing-with-oats/

I actually used a mix of porridge oats and naked oats, which are malted I think, as per the link. But neither are actually oatmeal.

I only do kits, but as a thought, what if you made oat milk and used this as an addition instead of sme of the water?.also, could I use this as an addition to a stout kit to give extra body?

You can buy oat milk from supermarkets these days. Never been brave enough to try it.

You first! :D

mmmm you can buy oat milk.
Also, I believe you can buy beer in the supermarket???? :tongue: lol

My point I guess was would it be easier to measure the effects by way of ABV as it is a liquid going in? I could be talking total ****!!!

Back