Oaty Maply Smoky Coffee Stout thingy

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there,

This weekend I plan to use several "adjuncts" in a brew for the first time. The furthest away from barley, hops and water I've ever gone before is adding oats, wheat or candied sugar.... :laugh8:

Using my Oatmeal stout recipe as a base here is what I have so far:

Target boil vol: 19l
target batch vol: 15l
target OG: 1.065
target FG: 1.012
target ABV 7.2%

Grains:
2.5kg pale malt
1kg Weyermann smoked
400g Oats
250g flaked barley
250g roasted barley
200g Caramunich II
150g black patent

I've used the smoked malt in a smoked porter and 1kg gave a very subtle smokiness, next time I want to do a proper Schlenkerla type smoked beer I'm going 50-50!
------
Hops : I have 40g of Cascade and 40g of Summit that I need to use up. I also have some Apollo and Wai-iti open but don't see the point of wasting them in a not so hop-forward recipe.

Was thinking of an @60 and @30 addition to about 35-40IBU. Planning on Summit for bittering because A. ive never used it for bittering and B. im scared of the onion flavour people report from using it alte, although I have never had that. it just seems like in this recipe it would be a disaster!

----
Yeast: I can use either US-05 or M-42. I had really nice results from M42 in a Rye IPA so leaning that way. I use US-05 almost exclusively for my pale ales and IPAs etc. I do have some S-04 in stock too but to be honest not a massive fan.

To add during fermentation:
200g cacao nibs (early on - during primary fermentation)
500ml maple syrup (not sure but maybe after the krausen starts to drop)
500g coffee (late, after fermentation 2-3 days before bottling) - not sure if to dump it in ground or whole bean or what....

I also have some fenugreek seeds in the spice rack which I have been reading about. Not averse to dumping some of these in at some point as long as I know what I am doing..... which I am not sure I do right now.

Any comments, thoughts, suggestions?

I've never done a beer like this, but for what it's worth I'd go with a single bittering addition to whatever ibu you want with whatever hop you want to use. Can't imagine it's going to make too much difference. I'd also skip the fenugreek, you've already got enough going on! Finally, again I think that the yeast choice, from those options, is not of paramount importance. I'd go M42. Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back