October Competition- Dark Beers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a quick update 🍺

I’ve managed to judge four or five entries (some of the first to arrive so that the other have maximum time to settle). I’ll ask my father-in-law to help me with the rest, hopefully by the end of the week.

Some lovely beers so far!

I'm a little bit worse for wear this morning :beer1:but the results are in!

In joint third place with 38/50 - @Benfleet Brewery with his Black IPA and @Dads_Ale with an 8% stout

In joint second place with 41/50 - @Nottsbeer with a Trappist style beer (like a duble) and @stripeyjoe with a coffee porter

and drum roll please...

In first place with a whopping 47/50 (the best stout I've ever tried) @phildo79 with a 10% Barrel Aged Chocolate & Coffee Stout clapa

Well done all! I'll get some feedback out to everyone this week and I'll be pestering many of you for recipes!

Cheers,

Sam

I'm a little bit worse for wear this morning :beer1:but the results are in!

In joint third place with 38/50 - @Benfleet Brewery with his Black IPA and @Dads_Ale with an 8% stout

In joint second place with 41/50 - @Nottsbeer with a Trappist style beer (like a duble) and @stripeyjoe with a coffee porter

and drum roll please...

In first place with a whopping 47/50 (the best stout I've ever tried) @phildo79 with a 10% Barrel Aged Chocolate & Coffee Stout clapa

Well done all! I'll get some feedback out to everyone this week and I'll be pestering many of you for recipes!

Cheers,

Sam
Wow...am chuffed with that score. Was only after some feedback, not expecting to be anywhere near the top ten.

Congrats everyone, and thanks Sam for organising and judging this. Let's hope you recover quickly. Guess you'll be off the dark beers for a while 🤣🤣

Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout

INGREDIENTS

For 5 Gallons (19 L)

13.25 lb (6.01 kg) pale malt

1.5 lb (0.68 kg) flaked oats

0.75 lb (340 g) roast barley

0.75 lb (340 g) Belgian chocolate malt (I used just regular UK choc malt)

0.5 lb (227 g) Belgian debittered black malt (I used just regular UK black malt)

0.5 lb (227 g) 120°L crystal malt (I used CaraMunich 2)

1.0 oz (28 g) Nugget pellet hops, 13% a.a. (60 min)

1.25 oz (35 g) Willamette pellet hops, 5% a.a. (25 min)

1.75 oz (49 g) Willamette pellet hops, 5% a.a. (10 min)

2.5 oz (71 g) Belgian bittersweet chocolate (15 min) (couldn't find this so used 90% Ugandan dark choc from Sainsbury's)

1.5 oz (42 g) unsweetened cocoa nibs (15 min)

Pretty sure I added a few grams of Irish Moss @10 mins to help the yeast from becoming inhibited during fermentation.

2.0 oz (57 g) ground Sumatran coffee (flameout)

2.0 oz (57 g) cold brewed Kona coffee (in secondary) (I used some good quality Colombian coffee for this as Kona is very expensive)

American or California Ale yeast (I used US-05)

SPECIFICATIONS

Original Gravity: 1.092

IBU: 73

SRM: 60

DIRECTIONS

To brew this Kentucky Breakfast Stout clone, perform an infusion mash at 155°F (68°C) for 60 minutes. Boil for 90 minutes, adding hops, chocolate and coffee as specified. Ferment for two weeks at 65°F (18°C). Soak 0.25 oz (7 g) toasted French oak chips in 1 cup (237 ml) Kentucky bourbon for two days. Soak ground Kona coffee in 1 cup (237 ml) boiled, cooled water and leave overnight, covered, in refrigerator. Strain out grounds and add cold-brewed coffee, bourbon and wood chips to sanitized secondary. Rack fermented stout onto this mixture and condition in secondary at 55–60°F (13–16°C) for 2 to 6 months.

Mini-mash Option

To brew a mini-mash recipe of the Kentucky Breakfast Stout clone, substitute 7.75 lb (3.52 kg) light malt extract syrup for 10 lb (4.5 kg) of the pale malt. Conduct a mini-mash with the remaining 3.25 lb (1.5 kg) pale malt and other grains at 155°F (68°C) for 60 minutes, sparge, and proceed as above, dissolving extract into hot wort before the boil.

Back