October Dark Month

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2 (wee heavy and baltic porter) boxed up ready to send tomorrow, labelled with my forum name, beer type and ABV. Not sure on the rules, I know only one can enter, not sure if I need to decide or its the one that scores highest? Im sending 2 as postage is same and I have loads of beer after so long in lockdown.
If I need to decide the I'd enter the Wee heavy.

Both were intended to be entered into National homebrew comp which is now cancelled (maybe postponed) so have been brewed to style, wee heavy using Edinburgh Ale yeast and Baltic porter with lager yeast and lagered for 8 weeks.

Hope you enjoy them and as suggested I would probably spread the tasting out - dark beers are also often strong beers- mine are 8.8% and 6.3%
Not sure on the rules but I think you can enter more than one. The highest score counts.

I'd do it over a few days. As long as you're scoring them all to the same criteria it doesn't matter when you drink them. I'm guessing there's a lot of strong ones entered with it being dark month.

I had my first sample of my BIPA tonight and it will be ready to bottle at the end of the week so will definitely be able to get to you early November.

I would do that, I'm sending you a 500ml 12+% one :beer1:
You will have to keep a consistent scoring scheme though. Pouring half and capping for later comparison if needed might be a good idea.

Out of interest what was the arrangements for the bipa brew off. All 4 members brew their own version, then share and score each beer
It was a little bit of a BIPA conversation that just got out of hand to be honest......

The only guidelines were to brew a BIPA of your own style/choice using whatever yeast/hops/grist etc

We are sending each other one of our beers for a group drink off. But to level the playing field we thought it would be a laugh to get them "independently" judged in a forum comp as dark beers happened to coincide.

@Hoddy was that the BIPA you posted on your Facebook the other day? Is it going to be in your line up?
Good spot 😉
It’s defo a beer I want to try and squeeze into the schedule during the darker months if I can. We are a month behind schedule on getting the keys so only time (and the results of this brew off & comp) will tell if the recipe concept is any good to be tweaked into a bigger scale.

Back