Odd side effects of certain beers. (besides the obvious)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobtheblob

Regular.
Reaction score
Every time I have made homebrew cider from supermarket apple juice has left me feeling really weird the next day. Thought it might be something to do with alcohol withdrawls but no, having a bottle of wine right now to try and shift it but it doesn't seem to be working. Still feeling well spaced out and hope this has gone by morning. It's the last time I'm brewing turbo cider.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have recently had to admit to myself that i'm allergic to beer, my nose streams like buggery not long after having a drink, the next morning after a big night its awful, hungover and dripping, for hours and hours. Quite often I take an anti histamine before I have a few now.

In the 80’s me and mates used to drink Tuborg Gold, i think it was called, and you could guarantee it would give every one of us the strangest dreams. We’d ring each other up the next day to see what weird dreams we’d had.

I have recently had to admit to myself that i'm allergic to beer, my nose streams like buggery not long after having a drink, the next morning after a big night its awful, hungover and dripping, for hours and hours. Quite often I take an anti histamine before I have a few now.
Think i might be in the same boat Pilgrim, after a 2 or 3 pints nose runs then the sneezing starts, i am talking at least 50 sneezes then i am ok, it's weird

Nose bleeds are caused by falling face down, or walking into something woody, stoney or fleshy while upright. which I somehow still am! :)

I used to dring a lot of Spam Sluts Old Brewery Bitter. Nice beer, but it always made me sneg like mad! No idea why.

After drinking guinness the next morning I **** tarmac.

Went through a phase of drinking it when I first moved to London and didn't get on with the bitter (wouldn't even consider lager). Anymore than 5 pints and it would be like I'd struck crude oil.

I had a mate with the same problem. It turned out he was allergic to sulphur dioxide.

I used to suffer from gout and it took me a long time to realise it was lager that caused it its been a couple of years since i have had lager or gout, a win win as i am now drinking decent beers instead of bland **** water.

I used to suffer from gout and it took me a long time to realise it was lager that caused it its been a couple of years since i have had lager or gout, a win win as i am now drinking decent beers instead of bland **** water.
Mmmm, I used to drink lager and I had gout a few years ago so started taking B+ vitamins on advise from Holland and Barrett. I very rarely drink lager now as I drink IPA's or bitters and I haven't had gout for a good while now, I wonder if they're connected.

I have been taking multivitamins for a few years and i also take an extra vitamin D tablet daily after watching the doctor in the covid videos here, i used to get gout even when taking the vitamins so i think you can rule that out, for me it was definitely the lager that caused it i cut out all the foods generally thought to be a trigger but i was still drinking lager once i stopped permanently the gout never came back.

Purine-rich foods
Foods that are high in purine can set off gout symptoms.

Since, your body breaks purines down into uric acid, some of these foods should be avoided. However, not all foods with purines should be eliminated. The main ones to avoid are organ and glandular meats, and some seafood, such as:

• cod
  • scallops
  • shellfish
  • sardines
  • anchovies
  • mussels
  • salmon
  • trout
  • haddock
  • organ meats
Other purine-rich foods that should be limited include:

• pork
  • turkey
  • bacon
  • duck
  • mutton
  • veal
  • venison
Some vegetables are high in purines, but studies have shown that they do not increase the risk of gout or gout attacks. Even though the following may be listed as high in purine, they are a part of a healthy diet and not restricted.

• asparagus
  • cauliflower
  • green peas
  • kidney beans
  • lima beans
  • lentils
  • mushrooms
  • spinach
All types of alcohol may increase your risk of gout and worsen symptoms. When you drink alcohol, your kidneys must work to get rid of the alcohol rather than uric acid. This may cause uric acid to build up in the body, triggering gout.

Some types of alcohol — such as beer — also contain purines. If you’re prone to gout, avoid all types of alcoholic beveragesTrusted Source including:

• beer
  • wine
  • cider
  • liquor

Sugary beverages
Sugary drinks may cause gout flare-ups. This is more common in adults who are overweight or obese. Sugary beverages like fruit juices flood your body with sugars called fructose. High blood sugar is linked to higher amounts of uric acid collecting in your body.

If you have gout, avoid or limit sugary beverages, such as:

• soda
  • sugary-flavored drinks
  • orange juice
  • energy drinks
  • fruit juice from concentrate
  • freshly squeezed fruit juice
  • sweetened lemonade
  • sweetened ice tea
What Causes Gout to Flare Up? Foods, Medications, and More (healthline.com)

Last edited:
Foods to Avoid if You Have Gout

Skip foods and drinks that are high in purines to help lower your chances of an attack.

You should stay away from these types of food:
  • Beer and grain liquors (like vodka and whiskey)
  • Red meat, lamb, and pork
  • Organ meats, such as liver, kidneys, and glandular meats like the thymus or pancreas (you may hear them called sweetbreads)
  • Seafood, especially shellfish like shrimp, lobster, mussels, anchovies, and sardines
  • High-fructose products like soda and some juices, cereal, ice cream, candy, and fast food
That doesn't leave much that you can eat (that's worth eating)!

I don't think I have ever suffered with gout. I have once or twice woken up after a heavy sesh, feeling dehydrated and with a couple of toes numb and sore, but drank plenty of water and it went away.

I think I will just avoid lager and take my chances.

Have a look at the edited version of post #12 below i probably eat 50% of the stuff on the list i guess if you are lucky you only have one trigger and if unlucky several.

Purine-rich foods
Foods that are high in purine can set off gout symptoms.

Since, your body breaks purines down into uric acid, some of these foods should be avoided. However, not all foods with purines should be eliminated. The main ones to avoid are organ and glandular meats, and some seafood, such as:

• cod
  • scallops
  • shellfish
  • sardines
  • anchovies
  • mussels
  • salmon
  • trout
  • haddock
  • organ meats
Other purine-rich foods that should be limited include:

• pork
  • turkey
  • bacon
  • duck
  • mutton
  • veal
  • venison
Some vegetables are high in purines, but studies have shown that they do not increase the risk of gout or gout attacks. Even though the following may be listed as high in purine, they are a part of a healthy diet and not restricted.

• asparagus
  • cauliflower
  • green peas
  • kidney beans
  • lima beans
  • lentils
  • mushrooms
  • spinach
All types of alcohol may increase your risk of gout and worsen symptoms. When you drink alcohol, your kidneys must work to get rid of the alcohol rather than uric acid. This may cause uric acid to build up in the body, triggering gout.

Some types of alcohol — such as beer — also contain purines. If you’re prone to gout, avoid all types of alcoholic beveragesTrusted Source including:

• beer
  • wine
  • cider
  • liquor

Sugary beverages
Sugary drinks may cause gout flare-ups. This is more common in adults who are overweight or obese. Sugary beverages like fruit juices flood your body with sugars called fructose. High blood sugar is linked to higher amounts of uric acid collecting in your body.

If you have gout, avoid or limit sugary beverages, such as:

• soda
  • sugary-flavored drinks
  • orange juice
  • energy drinks
  • fruit juice from concentrate
  • freshly squeezed fruit juice
  • sweetened lemonade
  • sweetened ice tea
What Causes Gout to Flare Up? Foods, Medications, and More (healthline.com)

I sleep better from above average hopped beers, I dream better (or weirder) too...

Aren't hops used in the herbal sleeping tablets etc to aid sleep so that may explain that
I know that some herbal sleeping tablets are made from Valerian, a.k.a. Cat nip. As I discovered when someone dropped one on the floor and my cat went berserk.

Cider hangovers are the worst, due to the pectin, and the way it is clarified.
The pectin changes into methanol.
This gives the “apple palsey” effect, as it used to be known.
I once made a freeze concentrate cider, the hangover earned it the name “suicider”

Latest posts

Back