Off smell in bottling bucket

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gingerbrews

Regular.
Reaction score
I retrieved my bottling bucket from the shed with the intention of bottling my Bitterv& Twisted clone.
However the bucket has a sort of damp smell. I soaked it in clean, hot water, but still smells.
Then soaked in a Milton solution for a few hours, still smells although slightly less "dampy"
Used Starsan also each time.
Question is do I wait, try something else, or ditch the bucket and go and buy a new one?

Question is do I wait, try something else, or ditch the bucket and go and buy a new one?
The plastics do absorb smell. Mine smell like hops and beer for a long while no matter how I clean them. The smell has gone away eventually with mine.
Airing out the affected container in a place where no odor can develop or affect the bucket is one way, like in a dry storage place.
Buying an additional bucket might be worth it since you don't want to transfer the odor (even if harmless).

How much is a new bucket? How much will your brewday worth of ingredients cost? If the bucket is not far off it then dont risk it and just get a new one. Or do a small brew in it and see how it turns out.

I retrieved my bottling bucket from the shed with the intention of bottling my Bitterv& Twisted clone.
However the bucket has a sort of damp smell. I soaked it in clean, hot water, but still smells.
Then soaked in a Milton solution for a few hours, still smells although slightly less "dampy"
Used Starsan also each time.
Bi-carb is what you need for getting rid of smells.

Fill with water add oxy-cleaner to the correct dosage and leave for 24 hours. Empty and rinse well with cold water.

Clean taps, seals, lids etc by dissembling and washing in hot water. Before every ferment I sanitise the fermenter with a heaped teaspoon of metabisulphite dissolved in hot water and sealing the the vessel off for a couple of days. The SO2 evolved kills off any organisms in the vessel. I use my secondary fermenter as the bottling bucket since any remaining dead yeast will have precipitated completely.

Back