Off the record forum

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

strange-steve

Quantum Brewer
Reaction score
The thread about this was locked so starting this one. @Chippy_Tea said:
All the Bridge threads have been moved to the off record forum and future controversial threads will be moved to the Off record forum so members who didnt want to see those threads in the latest post lists still wont

What about those who do want to see them but aren't "supporting members"?

As posted below we decided there is no point in having two hidden forums, hardly any of those that signed up to the bridge have ever posted (curiosity being the main factor in them joining) the majority that have posted there are the usual's that post in the snug and most are supporters so have lost nothing.

We have decided to merged The Bridge and New Off The Record forums leaving just the OTR forum as there was little point in having two hidden forums for general discussion (the advantage of the OTR forum over the Bridge is detailed in the thread link at the bottom of the page)

Another advantage is i now have no need to manually set permissions for every new member wishing to view the bridge (a bit of a pita) as becoming a supporter automatically allows you access to the off the record forum, we realise some non supporting members who posted in the Bridge will not be happy but on the whole more supporting members posted in the Bridge regularly than non supporters and many non supporters didn't post at all.

More info here - New Off the record forum for supporting members.

Fair nuff, but half of the forum's top posters are not supporting members and they are losing access to part of the forum.

Fair nuff, but half of the forum's top posters are not supporting members and they are losing access to part of the forum.

They are only losing access to a new forum that was made because some didn't want to read certain types of threads in the Snug, we are trying to get members to support the forum as the £16 annual fee (or monthly £3 fee) helps pay for the upkeep of the forum there isn't much we can offer to persuade members to part with their hard earned money so the private forum was added to the list of advantages (see below)

Help Support The Home Brew Forum(£3 per month or £16 per year) - Check out the benefits and how to sign up HERE.

Here at The Homebrew Forum we strive to provide a friendly and technical oriented community with limited advertising that works towards our hobby and passion. The The Homebrew Forum Supporting Membership program provides the much needed funds to cover all the expenses it takes to keep this great website running. We rely on this program to keep the lights running and highly appreciate your support!

The Homebrew Forum Supporting Membership Benefits

• Access to active private forum for Supporting Members only.
  • Post & thread editing time increases to one month.
  • Recognition of your Supporting Member status.
  • The ability to post in Classifieds without waiting.
  • The ability to turn off advertisements.
  • Unlimited private message space.
  • Unlimited file attachment space.
  • Unlimited gallery space.
  • The satisfaction that you are supporting The Homebrew Forum's future and it's role within the hobby as a library of knowledge and community.

Last edited:
A am going to close this now as there isn't really much more to discuss.

Last edited:
Thread merged with existing thread C-T

Just to record my disappointment at how the new restricted access 'Off the Record' seems to be settling in.
The previous arrangement where all members who wanted to have a pop at the government or the opposition, spout their own political views or talk about Brexit or whatever, did so by signing up to the Bridge, and that left the Snug a much more friendly place to visit, especially since that is what the forum is supposed to be. Anyway this worked for me because I just didn't want to read most of what was likely being written in the Bridge judging on past performance, so I just didn't sign up to it.
However without access to the Bridge or its latest incarnation now know apparently as 'Off the Record' all those members who don't want to become Supporting Members and yet still want to raise their mostly political agenda are migrating back to the Snug. Case in point being one thread on here which, within less than 24 hours, has already moved mostly off topic and people are now trading left and right political 'views'.
I don't particularly want to unsubscribe from the Snug so all I can see me doing is having to put up with the usual diatribe from the usual suspects and put that aside from what I do want to read and perhaps contribute towards.
So for me its very much a case of a backwards step or three.

Last edited by a moderator:
A simple solution - If you don't like the look of the thread title don't click on it, posts don't show in new posts just the title so you are not forced to read any thread content, if you want to steer clear of all political debate you have the option to do so.

As i said earlier -
I am going to close this now as there isn't really much more to discuss.
Maybe i should have said there isn't any point in discussing this further as the decision has been made.

Can i again point out -

Certain members are only losing access to a new forum that was made because some didn't want to read certain types of threads in the Snug, we are trying to get members to support the forum as the £16 annual fee (or monthly £3 fee) helps pay for the upkeep of the forum there isn't much we can offer to persuade members to part with their hard earned money so the private forum was added to the list of advantages (see below)

Help Support The Home Brew Forum(£3 per month or £16 per year) - Check out the benefits and how to sign up HERE.

Here at The Homebrew Forum we strive to provide a friendly and technical oriented community with limited advertising that works towards our hobby and passion. The The Homebrew Forum Supporting Membership program provides the much needed funds to cover all the expenses it takes to keep this great website running. We rely on this program to keep the lights running and highly appreciate your support!

The Homebrew Forum Supporting Membership Benefits

• Access to active private forum for Supporting Members only.
  • Post & thread editing time increases to one month.
  • Recognition of your Supporting Member status.
  • The ability to post in Classifieds without waiting.
  • The ability to turn off advertisements.
  • Unlimited private message space.
  • Unlimited file attachment space.
  • Unlimited gallery space.
  • The satisfaction that you are supporting The Homebrew Forum's future and it's role within the hobby as a library of knowledge and community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back