Oh no, not another how to “Make a Mash Tun out of a Coolbox”

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyb

Regular.
Reaction score
I thought I’d post a few pics of the finished article - there are plenty of excellent "How to's" on here already

Basic stuff you’ll need:

* Coolbox (make sure you can take it apart easily - perhaps not in the aisle at ASDA though! :grin: );
* Tank connector in your choice of diameter (I picked up one from ebay (from a chap that does them for barges – a chandlery I believe it’s called) that was bored straight through, the tank side is usually a fraction smaller when you buy them stock from Screwfix / Wickes etc – you can bore it out, but I couldn’t be bothered);
* Something to make your manifold from – I had some spare pushfit fittings;
* Tap of some description, I had a spare pushfit isolating tap;
* Insulating material – I picked up the bubble wrap foil from B&Q £12 a roll (I still have about 1/4 roll left);
* Some carpet tape;
* A luggage strap to keep the lid on tight.

I took the coolbox apart and re-insulated it, cut into the lid and filled it with the same, and also made a jacket lid, plus insulated the sides.

You can calculate your dead space before using it (put it on a level surface, cover the manifold with water, open the tap, and when the flow stops, close the tap, and tip what’s left into a jug), and I tested the ability to hold temperature beforehand.

Also, a picture of my 99p spargy thing.

The finished article
db898f10.jpg

Insulated lid:
81f0a31f.jpg

Underside of lid (pack as much insulation in as you can):
06fec46b.jpg

Manifold:
d65acd1f.jpg

Underside of manifold (it handily pivots so I can clean it easy, plus you can see the slots – not overly neat!):
1be13199.jpg

The tap:
39697bae.jpg

The additional insulated lid:
4c36247c.jpg

The 99p spargy thing (also listed in the How to section):
cfe13540.jpg

Hope it's been of use, as I certainly benefitted from all the other good members on here who take the time to create "How to's". It's always good to give something back :thumb:

Back