Oh what...frustration...change of plan

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheapbrew

Junk and disorderly
Reaction score
I was hoping that my friends lad who works at a local brewery was going to sort out some of their yeast for me at the weekend as I'm trying to make a version of their blonde summer ale....however the yeast never arrived and it looks like it will not be until next weekend now...DOH

So.....
I have some lager yeast kindly given to me by Rob and I'm thinking of using the same grain bill for the blonde ale and using the lager yeast instead, and then when I get the brewery yeast doing the same batch again but with brewery yeast and comparing the difference.

So what do folks think of ::-

for 1 gallon /5 litres

660g Maris otter
330g Minch's Irish pilsner/lager malt

first gold hops (9%AA)

What would folks recommend for hop amounts and timings for this and would the mash temp be better being lower for a lager style?

No expert on this either but are you planning a 60 or 90 min boil withe the pilsner malt??

I think with 9% AA and if you're going that style you wont want much in your bittering addition.. maybe 5 grams at the most probably less (depends on how long you boil for)

Not sure on a 90 mn or 60 min boil, so was thinking maybe 75 mins?

Original plan for the blonde ale was 3.5g @ 90 mins and 6g at 15 mins which clibit agreed with, but now as its lager yeast it may need different?

If I can get what I have planned all done this morning then I will probably go for this later today unless somebody thinks its obviously wrong?

I think it will be a good learning curve seeing what difference swapping to lager yeast makes.

Latest posts

Back