Oktoberfest Lager Advice Needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich1985

Reaction score
Hi There,

So I'm brewing a Greg Hughes Oktoberfest lager using WLP820 Yeast. It's been sitting in the fermenter for a week now. I was hoping to clear if out of my fermentation chamber in 12 more days. Do you think this would work? I really want to get on with brewing something else but can only temp control one batch at a time.
Two weeks at 12c in Primary
5 Days Cold crashing at -.5c before transfer

Then I have two options: I can keg it or bottle it, It will be my first kegged beer if I keg. How long would I need to leave it to condition before I drink it? Does it need a similar psi to an ipa (I'll be having two kegs attached to one regulator). Or do you reckon I save my two kegs for something that can be ready a bit quicker?

Hope I've made myself clear and all advice welcome.

Hi There,

So I'm brewing a Greg Hughes Oktoberfest lager using WLP820 Yeast. It's been sitting in the fermenter for a week now. I was hoping to clear if out of my fermentation chamber in 12 more days. Do you think this would work? I really want to get on with brewing something else but can only temp control one batch at a time.
Two weeks at 12c in Primary
5 Days Cold crashing at -.5c before transfer

Then I have two options: I can keg it or bottle it, It will be my first kegged beer if I keg. How long would I need to leave it to condition before I drink it? Does it need a similar psi to an ipa (I'll be having two kegs attached to one regulator). Or do you reckon I save my two kegs for something that can be ready a bit quicker?

Hope I've made myself clear and all advice welcome.
I would let it rise to around 19c for a diacetyl rest (assuming it has reached at least 50% attenuation) before dropping the temp down to 5c. I usually only drop the temp to 5/6c for a day then fine with gelatin for 24 hours and then bottle / carb for 2 weeks and then lager for 2/3 weeks at least. If I had the option to keg I would probably use it for this style. I generally get a lager into a bottle within 2 weeks using this method.

I would let it rise to around 19c for a diacetyl rest (assuming it has reached at least 50% attenuation) before dropping the temp down to 5c. I usually only drop the temp to 5/6c for a day then fine with gelatin for 24 hours and then bottle / carb for 2 weeks and then lager for 2/3 weeks at least. If I had the option to keg I would probably use it for this style. I generally get a lager into a bottle within 2 weeks using this method.

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your reply. I'm half way through the rest. I'll kick it up to 19 tonight and then bring it down in temp again. I have no gelatin so might have to crash it down to say one and then leave it for a few days. Does that sound OK.
In terms of kegs, if I can source gas in time, what should I do in terms of steps and time scales in your opinion ? Thanks.

Yes it doesn't need fining, just makes it drop brighter quicker. As long as it gets largared in the bottle or keg for a few weeks minimum it should be clear.

I'm really not clued up on kegs I'm afraid as only have the space to bottle at present. I'm sure someone else can advise on this.

Latest posts

Back