Old Beers and Brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddtheBrew

Reaction score
Hi All ,
I'm a brewer and brewing historian, currently working on a book on old beers and brewing, with lots of lovely recipies in there !! ,
If any members would like me to pop a few up , I'd be happy to!, I'd also be happy to do conversions of any old brewing records that members send ; I'd need to know the brewery and source , I won't publish the photos of the records, just the recipies.
The brief list of breweries whose records I've looked at ;
Magee Marshall (Stouts 1905-18 , and the Government Ale from 1917
Boddingtons 1901-55
Richard Clarke & Co , Stockport 1947-50
Dutton's of Blackburn 1967
Walker's of Warrington 1875-6 , 1892-1924
Whitwell Mark , Kendal 1931-36
Henry Bentley , Woodlesford 1892-6
Hope that's of interest,
Cheers,
EFF

Hi Edd, welcome to the forum, brewing some historic beers is something that I'd like to get into and would be interested in any recipes you'd like to post up.

Don't have a preference from the brewery's you mentioned but am interested in brewing something from the war years (first or second) that hasn't been too affected by rationing somewhere around 4 to 4.5% abv if you have anything that suits? Failing that post up any favourite s of yours that you have brewed. Good luck with the book, when do you hope to have it finished?

The next issue of Zymurgy is supposed to publish (as an online extra) a piece that I submitted last year about recreating the IPA of 200 years ago and a porter from the early days of brewers moving away from all brown malt recipes.
I highly recommend Ron Pattinson's book.

The next issue of Zymurgy is supposed to publish (as an online extra) a piece that I submitted last year about recreating the IPA of 200 years ago and a porter from the early days of brewers moving away from all brown malt recipes.
I highly recommend Ron Pattinson's book.

Books, and his blog, and on his blog, Let's Brew Wednesday, also together with Kristen England.

Hi All ,
I know Ron , and have swapped info and contributed to the blog he does , top bloke, very knowledgeable, and a genuine enthusiast for beer and brewing history.
I'll be uploading a few recipies tomorrow to this thread,
Apologies for any double posted ones ,
Cheers
Edd
PS: The pic is of the Greenall's Bitter Beer from the 1860's I brewed @ BeerNouveau last year .(a personal favourite! , a complicated mash schedule , but worth every last fluid ounce !!.

Attachments

• IMG_20180120_170658.jpg
    IMG_20180120_170658.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Hi Edd, welcome to the forum, brewing some historic beers is something that I'd like to get into and would be interested in any recipes you'd like to post up

Don't have a preference from the brewery's you mentioned but am interested in brewing something from the war years (first or second) that hasn't been too affected by rationing somewhere around 4 to 4.5% abv if you have anything that suits? Failing that post up any favourite s of yours that you have brewed. Good luck with the book, when do you hope to have it finished?
Hi Honk ,
How about a Whitwell Mark Pale Ale from the 1930's , and an Allsopp's from 1935 (see the attached list)

Attachments

• ALLSOPP_-_IND_COOPE_GYLE_TYPES_GRAVITIES_Ex_1935_B.pdf
    33.5 KB · Views: 151
Sounds good, I'd like to see those recipes go how about one of the milds from the alsopps list?

Hi Honk ,
How about the XXXX@ 22 IBU 1.047° OG , or No 3b @ 1.054° , 30 IBU( in the stronger milds ), and the XLM @1.036°, 21IBU ??, from the weaker ones ?? . You'll need 2 F.V's , as these recipies call for dropping , but have a pretty simple Mashing regime (1 temp @ 153-4°F ), and a boil time between 1 1/2 - 2 hours , with a Burton water profile.
If you could let me know , I'll forward whichever one you choose;
Cheers
Edd

Hi All ,
Here`s a few recipies for you all to go at , and sorry Dutto , they were typed up before I got the suggestion about Metric values in temperature ; all of the Imperial measurements are , UK values , NOT U.S ,
Hope you all enjoy them , Happy Mashing !!
Cheers ,
Edd

Attachments

• BODDINGTON.pdf
    39.8 KB · Views: 194
  • Peter_Walker_One_X_Mild_1891.pdf
    39 KB · Views: 137
  • Samuel_Allsopp_XLM_1935.pdf
    37.7 KB · Views: 151
  • T_G_GREENALL_BITTER_BEER_23_031863.pdf
    37.2 KB · Views: 140
I will take a look at those recipes later, good timing as am planning what my next few brews will be.

Hi Honk ,
Hopefully I'll be able to upload two more tomorrow, a Greenall's IPA from 1937-8 (St Helens) and a Henry Bentley & Co Bitter Beer from the early 1890's
Cheers
Edd

Interesting recipes, and a couple of ones with the now-resurrected Chevallier malt in. Do you know what Constable malt is?

Hi Iain ,
It's another old barley malt variety , I'll omit it on future posts, as the Chevalier is pretty good .
Cheers
Edd

Hi Honk ;
Just put the Allsopp`s Light Mild from 1935 up ,
Cheers ,
Edd

Thanks Edd, I like the look of that one and no invert sugars to have to make which a lot of the historical recipes I've looked at previously need. It's going on my to do list.

Hi Honk ,
Just noticed the howler in the Allsopp's XLM from 1935 , I did forget to include the invert , buggeration !! , my crappy typing skills to the fore again !, the original calls for 10% No3 invert , and 4% Malt extract , profuse apologies for the error in the uploaded recipe , Sub: 6% demerara , 4% golden (cane) , and a medium colour malt extract.
Cheers
Edd

Latest posts

Back