Old Beers and Brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers, I'd of noticed eventually that your percentages didn't add up :unsure:
Yup , it's when you commented that there wasn't any invert in there , made me look at my notebook, lo and behold there it was , No 3 & M/extract , aaargh !!
Will be a bit more rigorous with the proof reading on the next posts !!
Cheers
Edd

Hi Iain ,
It's another old barley malt variety , I'll omit it on future posts, as the Chevalier is pretty good .
Cheers
Edd

I've been tempted to try chevalier but struggled to find a good review of what it tastes like. Is it like a mild ale malt? Hoping not as i don't like it.

Hi Dan ,
All main extract malts start off as a pale ale type, ( barley quality is also a factor in the Pale/Mild malt thing) and it's down to the kilning for the colour of the finished product , but Chevalier is a superb malt if you're interested in re creating old beers from the 19th & Early 20th century .
The flavour is 'big' and of a superb quality , I really rate it as a 'go to ' malt
Cheers
Edd

Hi Dan ,
All main extract malts start off as a pale ale type, ( barley quality is also a factor in the Pale/Mild malt thing) and it's down to the kilning for the colour of the finished product , but Chevalier is a superb malt if you're interested in re creating old beers from the 19th & Early 20th century .
The flavour is 'big' and of a superb quality , I really rate it as a 'go to ' malt
Cheers
Edd

Thanks Edd - I'll have to give it a try soon to satisfy my curiosity. I'll maybe try it in a really simple SMASH brew to find out what its like, possibly with some Challenger.

Thanks Edd - I'll have to give it a try soon to satisfy my curiosity. I'll maybe try it in a really simple SMASH brew to find out what its like, possibly with some Challenger.
100% Chevalier grist ,
I'd go for the following: on an of @ 1.050° : Tetnang , East Kents and Bramling Cross , use the B.X as first charge at boil +15 , to 25 IBU . Tetnang & East Kents at 6 IBU each as 2nd charge at + 45 , and finish with a third charge to of BX @ 6 IBU @ + 70 minutes into the boil , with a 1:45 minutes boil , stand 1/4 hour and add 6% East Kents (% of the whole hop grist weight) , cool to pitching temperature.
Pitching rate @ 4.5 g/litre , free rise to 66°F and stop fermentation @ 1.014° , and rack @ 1.012° , FG@approx 1.009° ,
Strain Recommendation : Lancashire type , Pitching temperature at 59°F , rouse 24 hours after pitching, and every 8 hours until 1.014° .
Cheers
Edd

100% Chevalier grist ,
I'd go for the following: on an of @ 1.050° : Tetnang , East Kents and Bramling Cross , use the B.X as first charge at boil +15 , to 25 IBU . Tetnang & East Kents at 6 IBU each as 2nd charge at + 45 , and finish with a third charge to of BX @ 6 IBU @ + 70 minutes into the boil , with a 1:45 minutes boil , stand 1/4 hour and add 6% East Kents (% of the whole hop grist weight) , cool to pitching temperature.
Pitching rate @ 4.5 g/litre , free rise to 66°F and stop fermentation @ 1.014° , and rack @ 1.012° , FG@approx 1.009° ,
Strain Recommendation : Lancashire type , Pitching temperature at 59°F , rouse 24 hours after pitching, and every 8 hours until 1.014° .
Cheers
Edd

Sold! :thumbsup:
I've been needing a change from my usual APA type brew and this looks like it could be just the ticket.
I've looked at old recipes a few times and never taken the plunge so this could be fun.
Is this a historical recipe or one of your own? I'm up for giving this a go in a month or so (I have a couple of must brew beers to fit in first).
I may have to tweak a few details to suit my set-up and I'm not sure about rousing every 8 hours - was this a common practise?
Is the pitching rate based on fresh brewery yeast, and do you have any idea what cell count 4.5g/litre would relate to?
I'll put the recipe into Beersmith to see how it looks and no doubt be back with a few more questions
:smallcheers:

Hi Dan ,
It was a spur of the moment one of my own !! and yup , the yeast would have been a live barm , not sure of the cell count thing , but I'd make up a starter and weigh that for a pitching rate equivalent.
On the rousing, old breweries were a bit weird about it , especially in the north of England , as a lot of them had automatic rousing apparatus, and Walker's of Warrington were rousing up to every 3 hours on some beers !!! .
But , if you use a strain eg Whitbread Strain B , you shouldn't need to rouse at all after the first one ,
Hope that's of interest,
Cheers
Edd

Hi All ,
Here`s a few recipies for you all to go at , and sorry Dutto , they were typed up before I got the suggestion about Metric values in temperature ; all of the Imperial measurements are , UK values , NOT U.S ,
Hope you all enjoy them , Happy Mashing !!
Cheers ,
Edd
Hi All ,
Here's some info on liquor profile re Boddingtons,
Cheers
Edd

Attachments

• IMG_20180124_164348.jpg
    IMG_20180124_164348.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 99
Great stuff EddtheBrew would love a Kimberly Classic 4.8% recipe please if possible.
Hi Brewer's,
Aah , now here's the tricky part, Greene King own that one , and there's more chance of the devil ice skating to work than getting access to their production archives to do a recipe for posting online.
That said , I'm not sure , but I believe that Graham Wheeler had a version of a H&H beer in one of his books , or it could have been in a Dave Line book .
I only generally do work on Defunct breweries beers (where the brand isn't brewed/ marketed anymore) , the only exception being some of the Magee's beers , but I own the rights to them so don't have to worry about angry lawyers letters on that one at least !!.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help ,
Cheers
Edd

Thanks Edd no problem.Anything bitter related from Burton on trent would also be of interest Ind Coope etc
Aah , now I can help with that one !! , I've got a few Allsopp's recipies all types , and three Ind Coope ones (all milds),
I think I posted a list of the Allsopp's recipies that I've converted on this thread , and a recipe for Allsopp's XLM from 1935 somewhere!! , have a decco and let me know which ones interest you ,
Cheers
Edd

Hi,
The ledger I looked at was an Allsopp's one from Feb- Oct 1935 there is a "D" in there , its a premium Pale Ale , there's also the Allsopp's John Bull ( another premium Pale Ale) , would those do? , you're going to need two F.V's for these beauties though !,
Cheers
Edd

Hi,
The ledger I looked at was an Allsopp's one from Feb- Oct 1935 there is a "D" in there , its a premium Pale Ale , there's also the Allsopp's John Bull ( another premium Pale Ale) , would those do? , you're going to need two F.V's for these beauties though !,
Cheers
Edd
That's not a problem Edd I do 10 gallon batches,Also the Arctic ale is another option.

Hi ,
The aa No1 has two versions, draught and bottled , the only difference between the two being gravity @ racking point.
As I've got limited access to a computer, are you OK with handwritten recipies ? ,
I'll try and get a couple to you by DM as soon as I can,
Best Regards
Edd

Hi ,
The aa No1 has two versions, draught and bottled , the only difference between the two being gravity @ racking point.
As I've got limited access to a computer, are you OK with handwritten recipies ? ,
I'll try and get a couple to you by DM as soon as I can,
Best Regards
Edd
Yes that's no problem Edd greatly appreciated

Hi Brewer's,
Aah , now here's the tricky part, Greene King own that one , and there's more chance of the devil ice skating to work than getting access to their production archives to do a recipe for posting online.
That said , I'm not sure , but I believe that Graham Wheeler had a version of a H&H beer in one of his books , or it could have been in a Dave Line book .
I only generally do work on Defunct breweries beers (where the brand isn't brewed/ marketed anymore) , the only exception being some of the Magee's beers , but I own the rights to them so don't have to worry about angry lawyers letters on that one at least !!.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help ,
Cheers
Edd
The Graham Wheeler/ CAMRA book is , "Brew your own real ale at home"

Hi Dan ,
It was a spur of the moment one of my own !! and yup , the yeast would have been a live barm , not sure of the cell count thing , but I'd make up a starter and weigh that for a pitching rate equivalent.
On the rousing, old breweries were a bit weird about it , especially in the north of England , as a lot of them had automatic rousing apparatus, and Walker's of Warrington were rousing up to every 3 hours on some beers !!! .
But , if you use a strain eg Whitbread Strain B , you shouldn't need to rouse at all after the first one ,
Hope that's of interest,
Cheers
Edd
Heres how it looks for a 28 litre batch with my normal efficiency - should I expect worse extraction from the chevallier compared to say maris otter do you know? Think I got the hop timings right.
I'm not sure if the wyeast whitbread ale yeast is the B strain but it looks like I'll struggle to get it to 1.009 as the predicted FG is 1.012 with a 65C mash.

Attachments

• Capture+_2018-01-24-19-18-28.png
    Capture+_2018-01-24-19-18-28.png
    130.1 KB · Views: 127
  • Capture+_2018-01-24-19-20-59.png
    Capture+_2018-01-24-19-20-59.png
    133.4 KB · Views: 81

Latest posts

Back