Old crushed grain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerisGOD

Landlord.
Reaction score
Anyone else risked a brew with old crushed grain that wasnt stored particularly well.
Im considering finishing off the above mentioned but for the sake of a few quid would rather not but i just hate throwing grains away.

Anyone had a good brew from old grain?

I brewed 2 batches recently with grain that had been in the garage for 2 years. It was in plastic. Both beers came out fine.

Depends how much you enjoy your brewday and whether you need to use it

I have used grain fats crushed and been open for 9 months no problem. If your not sure I would buy a small amount of fresh grain compare the taste and add a bit of the fresh stuff to make sure there's enough enzymes.

I think @An Ankoù posted something about brewing with some ancient grain not so long ago
Yes, I did. It was really old dark crystal malt, which I used to make a brown ale. The malt was dry and crisp to chew and even though it was at least ten years old, the beer came out fine. The key is in the storage, if it's soft and smells musty, throw it out.
I don't know how the diastatic properties of a base malt might deteriorate with age, though.

I bottled up my APA made with 10 year old Centennial hops (the vacuum pack was still intact) which had been hanging around in an uninsulated loft for three of those years. It tasted promising with something of the expected Centennial aroma and something a bit like church incense! I omitted the dry hops in case this latter became overpowering. Will report back when carbonated and conditioned.

All this old stuff due to several moves over the last years.

If the bag was unopened and sealed with a plastic liner as most seem to be, then it'll probably be fine.
As the more learned than me have said, the smell will probably be the best indicator, if it smells good... it probably is,

Anyone else risked a brew with old crushed grain that wasnt stored particularly well.
Im considering finishing off the above mentioned but for the sake of a few quid would rather not but i just hate throwing grains away.

Anyone had a good brew from old grain?
Yes, a few times, each time the beer has been nice and drinkable. Granted the malt character isn't as powerful as I'd otherwise like.

Is no-one terrified of Alfatoxin contamination?
No. The organisms that produce aflatoxins are unlikely to survive the malting process even if they were present in European wheat, which is unlikely.
I'd be far more worried about St. Anthony's Fire.

Last edited:
Glad i got a few opinions on the subject.
Ill taste test the grain tonight (and smell) and see how it turns out before friday brew day

When I first went AG my second hand kit cane with 15kg of crushed malt that was about 18m old. I used it over 3 brews and was happy with the beer at the time.

When I first went AG my second hand kit cane with 15kg of crushed malt that was about 18m old. I used it over 3 brews and was happy with the beer at the time.
Reassuring. Food for thought.
The black malt im considering is around the same age and after its first use was stored into a clip down lid container. Its just been in fluctuating climates and in direct sunlight on occasions.
But like a post has suggested ill be taste testing the malt the day before.
Just fancy a darker beer now mr frost is on his way

So, what did you find?

All the Best,
D. White
I found it still had a fairly decent crunch and the smell, although not as prominent when first used, still passed the test. And this was the same for the crystal malt too which if i remember correctly was bought around the same time (over a year after use by date)
So im hoping this will reassure people with old (crushed) grains not to be too hasty parting with them over the use by date.
Ill be back with a pic and a rundowm of how the beer came out in a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back