Old hobby rekindled

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Quadbikeman.
Glad you are looking at it.However wines very rarely taste of their base ingredient.Almost regardless of whether its grape or any other fruit,The end result always tastes like wine.It takes a keen palate to tell what a wine is actually made from.
Thats why even Brussels sprouts wine tastes nice.

Here is my opinion (may be unpopular) from my simple little brain 😂 .

I think the more expensive wine kits are only more expensive because they give you more grape juice concentrate (generally) and therefore you don't need to add as much sugar. Otherwise I don't think there is much difference between the cheap ones and the expensive ones (ok so sometimes they chuck in some bentonite or oak chips etc).

I believe you are just paying for the luxury of not having to add extra sugar. Hope you KWIM! :D

I've never made a wine kit, but that's certainly true of beer kits. You pay more for more malt extract and add less sugar. But it also gives you a better beer with more body and malt flavour. I imagine the same is true of wine kits.
🍾🍾🍾🍾🍾🍾

Here is my opinion (may be unpopular) from my simple little brain 😂 .

I think the more expensive wine kits are only more expensive because they give you more grape juice concentrate (generally) and therefore you don't need to add as much sugar. Otherwise I don't think there is much difference between the cheap ones and the expensive ones (ok so sometimes they chuck in some bentonite or oak chips etc).

I believe you are just paying for the luxury of not having to add extra sugar. Hope you KWIM! :D

Once you get to the £30 ish range the kits tend to be sugar inclusive. My understanding is that above that price point the more you pay, the bigger % grape concentrate compared to the sugar in the mix.
Something like that anyway

Cheers. Tom

Once you get to the £30 ish range the kits tend to be sugar inclusive. My understanding is that above that price point the more you pay, the bigger % grape concentrate compared to the sugar in the mix.
Something like that anyway

Cheers. Tom
How many bottles do you get for £30. If it's only 6 - a gallon - it's nearly as cheap to buy the wine.

I know it's an expensive way of making a big batch but instead of buying a 1L bottle of grape juice concentrate, I find it's cheaper to buy the 6 bottle kit and then put the other ingredients in the cupboard for another time. This is what I did for my strawberry wine - there were no 30 bottle white wine kits I could find which I wanted, so I bought 3 of the 6 bottle kits and used the juice from those to enhance my (5 gal) strawberry wine. 😂

Back