Old Hooky AG clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeg3

Landlord.
Reaction score
This was from a brewday 5 days ago:

For the mash:
3.2kg Maris Otter
0.4kg crushed cornflakes
0.23kg Crystal 60L
2g gypsum
5g midnight wheat (for colour)

10 litre mash at 66 degC for 90 mins. I added 12ml CRS to the mash liquor.

Fly sparged with 22l at 75 deg C. 27ml CRS added to the sparge water

For the boil:
0.3kg brewing sugar
27g Challenger 90 mins
15g Fuggles 10 mins
3g Epsom salts and 5g gypsum added with the sugar
1tsp Irish Moss 10 mins

Wye Valley yeast pitched at 22 degC.

Post mash gravity was 1.035, mash efficiency 78%.

Final volume was short at 20l, but OG was 1.043 which is a point above expected.

My first attempt at water treatment, and the taste from the trial jar today was fantastic; probably the best tasting yet. Gravity today (after 5 days) is 1.010. Yeast cropped for next brew.

I'll be racking to the king keg on new year's day.

Hope this goes well. Old Hooky's a classic. Have you used Wye Valley yeast before or is this the first time?

I've used wye valley yeast a lot before. It's fairly high attenuating and is a top cropper. It's a fantastic British ale yeast. Similar to WY1318 I think.

CRS (carbonate reducing solution) is an acid solution used to reduce carbonate alkalinity and lower the pH of the mash

My water is very hard but also very alkaline, and this increases the pH of the mash.

There's a great sticky in the grain hops etc section on the basics of water treatment

I plonked this in the king keg the other night primed at about 2 carb volumes.

I've got a cold currently so taste buds are knackered but it tasted pretty malty and nice and hoppy

Latest posts

Back