Old Hop Picking Photo Fix

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatDad

'Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat'
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I found an old image on the internet and decided to try and restore it. I worked on it for quite some time and was delighted with the results.

It wasn't until I was part way through the restoration I realised what it was they were actually doing. I believe these were hop pickers.

I would love to find the owner of the original image to give them the restored photograph but after much searching I have drawn a blank.

Anyway, here's what can be done with an almost destroyed photograph, Photoshop and plenty of patience (not perfect but pretty good):

Original image with major damage.
1277639_3459376580911_2017229582_o-387.jpg

Retouched. Creasing, blemishes, tears and missing sections repaired. Colour tones enhanced.
1275441_3459386181151_1190250158_o-386.jpg

Colourised.
1267619_3459497223927_1484726241_o-385.jpg

All the retouches together.
859129_3576930799693_568684171_o-384.jpg

Wow! That's brilliant. You've done a fantastic job there.

How many hours did that take?

Superb job.:clap:

Thanks for the positive feedback. I'm guessing this one took about 4-5 hours solid, maybe a little more. It's probably the most damaged photo I have been able to repair, sometimes it's simply not possible.

I love the challenge of repairing photos (black and white comes out best but it is also possible with coloured images). I've done a few where someone has a treasured photo which has got creased or torn or been stained. As long as the face isn't obliterated something can usually be done. It's nice to know you have helped someone regain a treasured memory.

I once had a picture with a group of people standing together and managed to remove one from the center of the group.

I've also put fresh backgrounds onto photos. My parents only had one photo from their wedding day and it was with them stood in an old back yard - I was able to find a suitable photo of the church they got married in before it was torn down and placed them there - it looked pretty good.

If anyone has a loved photo that has been damaged let me know and I'll see if I can do anything to repair it.

I've got a challenge for you. I was driving home last week as the sun was setting. I noticed someone had stopped as was looking east. They were looking at a rainbow but because the sun had practically set the rainbow was pink ! So I stopped at took a panorama shot with my iPhone. I was dead chuffed with myself until I got home and realised I'd included a telegraph pole and cable in the shot which ruined it.

I very much doubt I'll ever see a pink rainbow again so any chance you could remove the offending object if I sent you the original ?

I've got a challenge for you. I was driving home last week as the sun was setting. I noticed someone had stopped as was looking east. They were looking at a rainbow but because the sun had practically set the rainbow was pink ! So I stopped at took a panorama shot with my iPhone. I was dead chuffed with myself until I got home and realised I'd included a telegraph pole and cable in the shot which ruined it.

I very much doubt I'll ever see a pink rainbow again so any chance you could remove the offending object if I sent you the original ?

Send the original to [email protected] and I'll take a look :)

Never seen a pink rainbow. Can you post it the piccy in the thread, I'd love to have a look?

Back