Old peculiar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stinkydog

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the difference between spraymalt and the stuff that comes in cans

Both are made by mashing grain, then concentrated, the stuff in cans, liquid malt extract (LME) is concentrated to a syrup, whereas spraymalt (dried malt extract or DME) is spraydried into powder form.

Generally speaking DME is preferred, as it lasts longer and doesn't develop a taint like LME.

Thank you for your response that is helpful, I have a recipe that requires 4lb of dark malt , I have 1.5kg of LME and I was going to make the rest up with dried , so I was going to mix the dried up with water separately then add to the mix , any tips on mixing up the dried malt , I was going to mix with warm not boiling water with a whisk perhaps ?

Because LME contains some water, you need to use slightly more LME than you woould DME. to replace 1 kg of DME, you would need 1.22 kg LME. So 1.5 kg LME is equivalent to 1.23 kg (2.71 lb), so you would need 1.29 lb of dried.

I have only ever used DME in hot or boiling water, so I couldn't say how it dissolves in warm water. I can tell you it is the stickiest stuff in the world, so be warned. I would be tempted to add it to the LME at the start, add sufficient boiling water to dissolve it all, whilst stirring, then dilute with the rest of the water.

I find that DME is easier to mix in warm water rather than hot or boiling, I usually mix my kit malt in boiling water and once added LME to it and it clumped up and was hard to get it disolved, I now add around 5Litres to the boiling wort and then add the DME slowly and mix with a paddle/spoon.

Well the recipe calls for 4lb of dark malt extract and I have 1.5kg of LME and 500 g of DME which equates to 4.4 lb so allowing for the additional amount stated it should be about right? Anyway thank you both for responding this is the first time I have made homebrew from a recipe and not purely from a kit, I am going to use a mangrove jacks dried yeast for strong ale. Do you have any views on yeast ? Perhaps a live yeast ? If so where do you get that from ?

I have made an Old Peculiar clone, using the Graham Wheeler all grain recipe three times. I have used MJ Liberty Bell and Safale S-04, but the strong ale yeast should work equally well. All of mine were cracking beers, hope yours will be too.

Must make another soon.

GWs recipe is extremely good, I used the Wyeast Yorkshire yeast which is absolutely perfect for this beer.

Thank you for your responses I will let you know how it goes the recipe is from a book called brewing beers like those you buy by a bloke called Dave line I think it's from the 70s .just been sampling a barley wine made from a youngs kit which is good but a bit flat. It's been in the bottles for just over a week nice and clear tastes good perhaps I should leave it a bit longer

I find that DME is easier to mix in warm water rather than hot or boiling, I usually mix my kit malt in boiling water and once added LME to it and it clumped up and was hard to get it disolved, I now add around 5Litres to the boiling wort and then add the DME slowly and mix with a paddle/spoon.

I did similar with my last brew after reading on here that DME dissolved better in warm water than in boiling water. No more chasing lumps around the fermenter:laugh8:

I just let it ferment at 18c gently rousing for the 1st few days, all stayed in the FV.

Back