Old world Russian imperial stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiwigaz

Reaction score
Thinking of using Brewdog recipe for this.
Downloaded beer.xml into brewers friend and seems ok but srm comes out light at 37 ish.

brew dog list it at 97 so I’m confused as to what I might have done wrong ?

E4F7A5DE-82A1-47EB-93D9-879CFE3F7ECA.png
268BD07A-F3E1-4632-970A-6A3344CCAFC5.png

image.jpg

any suggestions?

You've used much lighter crystal malt for a start, the Brewdog recipe has crystal 350 whereas you have crystal 90. Not sure if that would account for such a big difference but it'll account for some of it. On another note, the original recipe states 9.5% which doesn't add up with its OG and FG stats :?:

I’m using crystal 240 ebc (90 l)which I found as my supplier was out of stock.

should I be compensating by adding a touch more? I know there is a limit on suggested amount of some grains

as for abv I’m not sure why it differs. I’m still learning about all this! It’s my first time using brewersfriend too

Actually you raise an interesting point there, in the BD recipes are the crystal malts rated in EBC, SRM, or Lovibond? I had, probably incorrectly now I think about it, assumed L but yeah probably EBC.

You're right though, I put their recipe into Brewmate and it shows 48 SRM and also an OG of 1.086 at 70% BHE. I've never used any of these recipes but I do seem to recall people reporting errors. For what it's worth though, a colour of 48 SRM is pretty damn dark, and probably about right even for an RIS. You also have carafa special II instead of III which will account for some difference.

I would go ahead with your recipe though, it looks fine to me thumb.

Cheers Steve. Apologies for the poor picture. It is Type 3 I’ve used.
Not sure how you manage to get SRM up to 48 though?!
I get 37 on my recipe

Ok I’ve had a play with the recipe so I’ll go with it i

Cheers Steve. Apologies for the poor picture. It is Type 3 I’ve used.
Not sure how you manage to get SRM up to 48 though?!
I get 37 on my recipe

Ok I’ve had a play with the recipe so I’ll go with it i
As Steve says, be careful with the DIY Dog recipes, many of them are wildly inaccurate.

Ok so I ordered some dark Crystal.

looking to brew this weekend hopefully.

ive been looking at Steve’s water calculator and have some questions.

obviously it a dark beer so I’ve used suggested mineral amounts for the stout profile. I’ve punched it all in and it gives me a sulphate to chloride ratio of 0.4 to 1.

is this ok or a bit low? Should I be looking to dilute so I can add more sulphate?

Attachments

• E4925538-BE54-4DCB-9120-D236B6752625.jpeg
    E4925538-BE54-4DCB-9120-D236B6752625.jpeg
    47.3 KB · Views: 56
Ok so I ordered some dark Crystal.

looking to brew this weekend hopefully.

ive been looking at Steve’s water calculator and have some questions.

obviously it a dark beer so I’ve used suggested mineral amounts for the stout profile. I’ve punched it all in and it gives me a sulphate to chloride ratio of 0.4 to 1.

is this ok or a bit low? Should I be looking to dilute so I can add more sulphate?
If I'm reading the screenshot correctly the resulting calcium is 103ppm, so you don't need to dilute if you want to add more sulphate. You can happily increase the calcium up to 200ppm or so if you need to.

btw, I asked for you on the brewdog forums but couldn't get a brewer to respond (consensus was its one of the many mistakes)

This one came up in conversation though Younger’s Export Stout (1897) – Durden Park Beer Club

interesting, 3 hour mash! Thank goodness for modern grains then.
As an aside, the recipe doesn’t call for increasing the temp at the end of the mash stage. Should I consider doing this?
I will be using BIAB method and mashing in a cool box potentially. Is a 75 odd degree sparge enough?
Also planning on adding chocolate malt as a late addition at end of mash, as suggested by Brewdog.
Any suggestions?

Latest posts

Back