Omitting unwanted taste in Bramble wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deltabrew

Reaction score
I'm chasing a certain unwanted taste in my bramble wine, but really not sure even what to call it, let alone get rid of it!
The best I can describe it is 'earthy', like what the seeds would taste like if you chewed them perhaps. I'm wondering if it's because we just threw the whole lot in the bucket and left it to ferment for a week or two instead of filtering out the seeds and pulp nearer the start, or maybe I need to put some grape concentrate or pineapple juice in or something?

We've made it two years running now and it always gives the same aftertaste and I can't find out anymore about it, we just followed the usual basic recipes you can easily find online. Maybe it's supposed to be like this?

The only thing I can suggest is making three or four batches at the same time changing just one thing in each:

Time on pulp
Adding concentrate
Adjust start/finishing gravity (alcohol level)
Yeast variety

Then select the variation(s) that improve the taste for your next batch.
If nothing else it'll help to fine tune your wine making skills in general.

Paul

The only thing I can suggest is making three or four batches at the same time changing just one thing in each:

Time on pulp
Adding concentrate
Adjust start/finishing gravity (alcohol level)
Yeast variety

Then select the variation(s) that improve the taste for your next batch.
If nothing else it'll help to fine tune your wine making skills in general.

Paul

Yes that's a good idea, DJs are good for experiments (I usually do a 25ltr per batch).
I'm near Leeds too btw. :thumb:

Bramble wine is always a bit `earthy'. Don't think you can do anything about it though - they're not grapes after all. It's just the nature of the fruit.

Bramble wine is always a bit `earthy'. Don't think you can do anything about it though - they're not grapes after all. It's just the nature of the fruit.

I did wonder, I really need someone to taste it who knows what they are talking about!

Given the varying opinions and so many different recipes I'm going to take Pauls advice and make a lot of different ones this year. It makes sense as we've been stung, scraped, prickled and brambled for about 7hrs picking 21kg which will make circa 50 litres and 60 bottles, that's a lot of wine just for use in cooking!
I've read banana for body so will try that along with raisins, sultanas, grape juice, pineapple juice, honey, straining & racking at differing stages and anything else I can think of, maybe even put some elderberry in one!

I would attribute that taste to the seeds and possible the cores of under ripe berries. It's best to freeze the berries then mash them before adding to the brew, with pectolase. Strain after 24 hours. The wine tastes best after a year.

As a bit of an update I still don't know what caused it, but have found a way to use the wine. There is a quite rich and maybe a bit sweet wine called 'Yellow Tail Jammy red Roo' so I got some and mixed it with the bramble 50/50. It's lovely!

Latest posts

Back